Homesweethome, Home Buyer in 11372

What are good neighborhoods in NJ, NY or CT that are fairly close to NYC and have reasonably priced homes?

Asked by Homesweethome, 11372 Sun Sep 6, 2009

Commute time should be no more than 1h20m and price should not be more than $425,000

Answers

9
Contact me at reomls247@gmail.com
I am a CDPE and expert in the whole Queens market. Let me know your exact needs and we start working from that point until we close the deal.
Emilio
Do you realize this question was asked over 3 years ago? No one is going to contact you......
Flag Sat Mar 16, 2013
Check out Jackson Heights, Queens. Very convenient to Manhattan and excellent housing stock. The original garden buildings in the historic district are prime, and some available at your price range. Jackson Heights is a landmark neighborhood with amazing apartments. Most for sale are co-op's with very low maintenance compared to Manhattan and Brooklyn. I am selling my co-op but it is a little out of your price range. But chek it out and perhaps you will find something else in the neighborhood that works for you.
All the best.
I do wonder about these older postings. Did you find something and make a purchase? Since this came up on the Jackson heights area, why not stay here? Jackson heights has excellent proximity to Manhattan and is one of the best priced neighborhoods in Queens.

Your budget may be tight and you may have to think outside the 'historic area." Let us all know how you ultimately made out. Good luck.
If you are not familiar with NJ, NY or CT , now is the time to visit each closest town to NYC, check out transportation, shops, dine at local eateries; check on all that is important to you, and take it from there--you have many options in each state and ultimately the decision is entirely yours.
I would strongly advise taking a drive around before you make a decision and see some different areas.

Westchester County is about 1/2 hour north of New York City. It is a great commute with 3 train lines coming to the city and many highways and parkways.

The shopping is great there is a terrific nightlife in White Plains these days and you can drive to NYC at night in about 1/2 hour. (Parking after 7:00 PM in NYC is surprisingly easy in most areas)

If you want to stay in the confines of NYC limits Most of the boroughs are not very car friendly except for the outer areas where there is a little more land.

I grew up in NYC and have been living in Westchester for over 25 years. I love it here.

I would be happy to show you some of the listings and areas in your price range.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea
Homes of Westchester,
914.262.1931
Homesweethome.... hi again!
One more thing I wanted to point out that I forgot to mention.
Since you have included such a large area, please know that by working with a large franchise (in my case, that would be Prudential) . I would be able to refer you out to other agents in the 3 states you mentioned. It's akmost like staying within the same family! We have a very large relocation department that would facilitate the referrals. You dont have to seek out different agents on your own, and everyone can coordinate their efforts, as no one agent is an expert in anything other than the specific area they cover on a regular basis. This might make it less stressful for you.
Just a suggestion..........

Debbie
You don't mention your home preferences/wish list? I am a broker in all 3 states (and PA), have worked many of the market areas that will be recommended, and agree, there are so many wonderful places to choose! This I know in no uncertain terms: if you are interested in a condo or a bungalow for $425k, you can research the towns you want to live in based on schools, shopping, nightlife....BUT if you want the absolute MOST home for $425k AND be within 1 hr 20 of NYC, you will find it in Orange/Rockland, NY. For $425k, you will get new construction on 1 acre, 2,600 sq. ft., top-notch schools, shopping, and reasonable taxes. Can't be beat! CAll me for recommendation of a sales associate on my team who will help introduce you to this area! jashby@weichertrealtors.net
Hi Homesweethome....

Well, step back and wait for the stampede of agents telling you about their areas! You have asked about a huge area, involving 3 states. You will have so many options, your head will be spinning!

I will cut to the chase,. My area (all of Essex, parts of Morris and Union Counties) is a 30-60 min commute depending on what town you are in, and whether you take the train or bus. Many people here commute on a daily basis, as we are approximately 17 miles from Manhattan. If you visit my website, you will see a list of the different towns I cover. My company website also offers a lot of information on towns, including school information (as does my personal site), recreation and points of interest.

We have a lot to offer from warm and inviting tudors and colonials, to more contemporary styled homes. Depending on the town, you should be able to get a single family home with 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths. We also have a number fo townhome communities to choose from with clubhouses, pool and tennis.

What I suggest you do is find an agent (or 2) in each state that can give you an overview of their area. There are many questions I would ask you...such as your home style preference, what kind of neighborhood might attract you, and what personal interests and needs you have. Each town in my area has a distinct flavor.

Good luck in your move, and I hope I may be of help.

Best wishes,
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com

Feel free to email me, and I will be delighted to send you listings, and information on the various towns I cover.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
You are asking about a very large area geographically. Also, are you interested in 1h20m door-to-door? Where is your office in NYC, if that is what you are looking for. On Long Island, there are many good neighborhoods that now have homes that fall into your price range. If you would like to contact me to pre-qualify for a mortgage, we can discuss whether the $425,000 price is the right one for you. I also might be able to steer you in the right direction for a buyer's broker to help you locate the right home.
Robin Silverberg
Senior Loan Officer
516-972-1687
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009