Home Buying in Eastside>Question Details

Christina Ca…, Other/Just Looking in 92806

What are good areas and what are scary/bad areas of Long Beach. Hard to tell by looking at listings. Any general guidelines?

Asked by Christina Campbell, 92806 Wed Mar 2, 2011

Answers

15
Hi Christina,
There are lots of great areas in Long Beach, but what a "scary" or "bad" area is depends on how you define it. I have some clients who think that neighborhoods filled with "cookie-cutter homes" are kind of scary, and others who think they're great because everything's consistent. Certainly you can check crime stats, drive through the neighborhoods or do a virtual drive-through using Google Maps Street View (excellent for exploring areas without wasting gas!). The important thing is to identify what's most important to YOU about a neighborhood and then, based on your price range and preferences, select a few that may be worth exploring more fully. I have a big map showing all the areas of Long Beach and would be happy to spend some time reviewing it with you if you're interested.
Web Reference: http://www.ShowMeHome.com
Hi Christina,

The areas the others have mentioned are all nice. A couple of other areas they didn't mention is College Park West, University Park Estates, areas around 7th & Bellflower. One thing to identify first is how far do you want it to take you to get on certain freeways to commute to work and lot size.

As you get closer to the beach, the lot sizes get a lot smaller. You can search the MLS just like I do, by area or by zip code by going to my website link below. I think you'll like it, you can see photos, maps and more.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
244 Redondo Ave. Long Beach 90803
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 2, 2011
Hi Christina,

From a technical perspective one must obtain raw data from the local police department in order to determine which areas are considered safe or safer. The responses submitted are correct that the personality of a neighborhood can change by just one block. A good REALTOR will identify your needs based on shared information.

The city of Long Beach offers alot to those who wish to live here.

Always here to answer and assist you with your real estate needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 2, 2011
If you look on the aerial map, the rule of thumb is if there's a lot of rental units like duplex, triplex, etc. thats one way. The other way is the price. Right now the price ranges for a 2 bed/1 bath is from $200k to $250k in the not so good area. In good areas they start from $300k up.
Hope this helps.
Roberto
Hello There!

I am a long-time Long Beach resident (and getting my real estate license shortly!). I agree with many of the other responses that Long Beach changes block by block.

If you want to be in a very walkable neighborhood, Bluff Heights and Belmont Heights are great (I'm biased because I live in Bluff Heights). Of course there is Belmont Shore too, if you want to be close to the center of it all and you don't mind a small lot with a bigger price tag.

I have friends that live in Los Altos and California Heights. Those neighborhoods are great for young families.
If a bargain in a safe neighborhood is important you can check out Rose Park South and maybe Wrigley.

Be aware that historic neighborhoods (which most of the above are) have restrictions on exterior improvements (no converting houses to McMansions), however they hold their property values well. One downside with many historic neighborhoods is that they are parking impacted, so if you do a lot of entertaining it may be difficult for guests to find parking. I don't know if schools are important to you. They weren't when I bought my home, but now with a 6-month-old daughter, I kind of wish I would have thought ahead!
Feel free to contact me if you want any more info or opinions. This is a big decision!
-angelica
angelicasavard@gmail.com
Hello Christina,

When my husband and I were first time buyers years ago, we were a young couple with a four year old son. Our agent showed us homes in many different parts of Long Beach.

We were very concerned about safety since our son would be going to the local school in the fall. We would drive around the areas of the homes our realtor showed us at night. If we saw people out walking, and if the area was quiet, we determined it to be nice. We would even drive by the areas on the weekend. Many areas have a whole different mood on the weekends. If we saw children riding their bikes or playing outside that was a good sign. We also judged the areas by how many homes were for sale. If people seemed to be leaving in large numbers we took that has an indication the the area was declining.

For a young family on a budget the Los Altos area was our first choice. It had well maintained homes and a sense of community. We made a offer, got out bidded and ended up buying a small home in Orange county .
Moral of the story ? Do not get your heart set on any one city...you never know where you may end up.

Good luck in your home search.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
714-293-1151
Kawaindpayne@gmail.com
i will not reccommend you buying from
5th st - willow st
bad area
Hi Christina,

You can always tell the better parts of a town by the price, if it is more desirable then it will be more valuable.

Now that you have had some time to explore Long Beach where did you find to be the most comfortable place to live in your price range?

http://www.BeachCitiesInfo.com
Hi Christina,
Long Beach is a diverse city. In general, crime statistics are down all over the city, so I do not think there are any scary/bad areas, unless you are living next door to a gang banger or a corporate polluter. The general consensus is that the farther south (toward the beach), and the farther east you go, the nicer the neighborhood and the pricier the homes. But there are plenty of exceptions such as California Heights.

Frankly, the best way to look is the old fashioned way - find some homes in your price range, and go look, really look, at the neighborhoods in terms of schools, businesses and pride of ownership of the local residents.

PS - If you are thinking of buying, getting preapproved for a loan is your first step. Depending on your income level, you may be able to qualify for a 1% down package. Most of my clients are going with FHA loans, which require 3.5% down.

Best of luck to you,
Gene Scott
ERA Buy America Real Estate Services
562-212-2345
This is a reblog I wrote:

What makes a city walkable?

http://www.walkscore.com/CA/Long_Beach

Walkable neighborhoods are a key component of sustainability in Long Beach, offering several health, environmental and community benefits. Walkable neighborhoods locate housing near grocery and retail stores, schools, libraries, parks and other local amenities within an easy and safe walk. The City of Long Beach is ranked the 8th most walkable city in the United States.

What makes a neighborhood walkable?

•A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a center, whether it's a main street or a public space.
•People: Enough people for businesses to flourish and for public transit to run frequently.
•Mixed income, mixed use: Affordable housing located near businesses.
•Parks and public space: Plenty of public places to gather and play.
•Pedestrian design: Buildings are close to the street, parking lots are relegated to the back.
•Schools and workplaces: Close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.
•Complete streets: Streets designed for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit.
Los Angeles have developed this project for Seniors follow this link:

http://www.caphysicalactivity.org/docs/Boyle_Heights_Report.pdf

Boye Hieghts is a area that is using a grant program for communities to be more walkable.

Fred Sweezer Sr.

Certified Property Inspector

http://www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.Com

1-562-234-2689

fredsweezersr@verizon.net
Learning you way around Long Beach can be smart. I would find a knowledgable Realtor that knows the different areas.

Looking in the "marginal areas" areas that are next to the good areas can be a good investment if you are in a lower price range.

Get a good realtor, get qualified and learn the neighborhoods as you are doing. There are lots of opportunities in Long Beach.

Good Luck.
Hi there Christina, well that's a loaded question as everybody has different comfort levels in feel of neighborhood. I love Long Beach because of it's diversity of neighborhoods which can change almost block by block in some cases. In general for single family houses the better neighborhoods would be Belmont Shores, Belmont Heights, (both close to the beach and prices reflect that), on the west side of Long Beach Bixby Knolls, California Heights, Los Cerritos, Virginia Country Club, Central /East Side you have Artcraft Manor, Los Altos, College Park West, Park Estates, Alamitos Heights. For condos downtown Long Beach (more urban lifestyle), as well as some of the areas previously mentioned. A good realtor can direct you if your looking to buy or rent but you will need to let them know where you're coming from and goals/price range etc...You can also log online and do crime stats per zip code (although this in some ways mis-represents some areas in my opinion)....If you do a search for rentals on craigs list the amount of rents for similar sized units will be a tell tale sign as well as to desireability of areas. Cheers, I hope that helps. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions @ coastlinereo@gmail.com Regards,
Brad Cummings/Keller Williams Coastal Properties
Hi Christina, I agree with the others, Long Beach is block-to-block. I actually find some great stuff in the up and coming areas -- I suggest not limiting yourself to certain zip codes or just the higher priced neighborhoods -- especially if you have a more conservative budget (not that you do...). There can be great properties in any area. I think the best thing to do is not to look on your own in the beginning of your search process, other than for informational purposes. Meet with a Realtor, discuss what you are thinking about, get pre qualified and then have someone work side by sde with you on your search. Your Realtor partner will go with you to look at properties, drive you through neighborhoods and educate you on what is out there. From there you can be confident looking online.
Hi Christina,

If you look at zip codes I would suggest staying in 90803, 90815, 90814, 90808, 90802. I recommend Belmont shore/Heights, Los Altos, Park Estates, Carson Park, El Dorado Park. I would avoid North Long Beach, Westside, Eastside Circle, and some areas downtown. You can visit my website and search all MLS listings by zip code, price range, and size. I hope that helps. Good Luck!!!!
Hi Christina!

Long Beach is change from block to block I'm sure you've noticed.
90803,90802,90808,90807 are a few good zip codes but the MLS listings are separated by areas so it can be a little confusing but you want to look in bixby knolls, california height, lakewood village (which is technically still lb), naples, belmont shores, south of conant, el dorado park and park estates are the better areas.

Furthermore aside from looking for the area. Have you been pre-approved yet? A lot of clients have better luck looking for property at your max price and then canceling out the higher end areas like naples or park estates.

If you have more questions pls feel free to contact me I can help you. I was born and raised in Long Beach and I'm a full time Realtor.

Kelly Tap
Realtor/Partner
Keller Williams Realty Coastal Properties
6621 E. Pacific Coast Hwy Suite 150
Long Beach CA 90803
Cell: 562 279 4979
Office: 562 961 1400
Fax: 562 961 1401
Email: tapkelly@gmail.com
DRE License: 01806412