Home Buying in Seabrook>Question Details

Bjv, Home Buyer in Seabrook, TX

What are a borrowers rights when dealing with a FHA underwriters mold inspection demands?

Asked by Bjv, Seabrook, TX Fri May 8, 2009

The FHA underwriter is demanding a mold inspection on a HUD home based on the appraisal(closing 5/13, contract expires 5/21). In the appraisal their was no mention of seeing mold just a notice on the door.I suggested to just get a general inspector to come and inspect the home first, then if he finds any evidence of mold,then I will get a mold inspector in to do the test. The underwriter denied my request and said they will not give a loan without a Mold inspector . I was quoted 600-1400 and 2 weeks. If the appraiser saw mold and noted it in the report I would see the point. In the appraisal their was no mention of him seeing mold just a notice on the door.I just do not have the time or money to waste on this inspection that is based on a unauthorized, unofficial note. If there is mold I have no room in the escrow so I would be out the money and the house. My lease ended 4/30, we're staying with friends I can't loose this house. What are my rights as a borrower?

Answers

4
The lender makes the rules..If you don't comply, you don't get the loan, it's just that simple

FHA & VA have guidelines that must be followed
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009
Hi Bjv,

FHA underwriters are getting very picky these days. They have always had a right to call the shots as they see fit but are now really hypersensitive. I have performed inspections lately where appraisers for refi's have called out possible foundation issues because of expansion cracks in brick not even related to foundation movement. The banks are wanting to cover themselves are are working off of the general notations of Appraisers now.

If you were quoted $600 - $1400 for a mold inspection and 2 weeks to have it completed then I would recommend that you look for another Mold Inspector!! That seems quite high for a simple mold inspection and test results can be had in two or three days easily. I know a Mold Assessment Consultant (MAC) here in this area that might be able to refer you to a reputable MAC in your area. I would not use a Mold Assessment Technician (MAT) as they can only test for mold and not write any remediation plans if necessary. MATs are generally charging the same as MACs for inspections and tests.

The MAC I know here is Benny Stewart of Stewart Inspections (http://www.stewarthomeinspections.com), 214-908-0626. Give him a call tomorrow and see if he can refer you to a reputable MAC in your area that is more reasonable. Benny is an honest and good person who will do what he can to assist you.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
http://www.psinspection.com
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Infrared Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
Web Reference: http://www.psinspection.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 8, 2009
Ditto, you must follow underwriter loan approval stipulations
Unfortunately, both of my associates are correct. You don't have any recourse other than to do what the underwriter requests.

Jackie
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009