Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

John Arendsen, Real Estate Pro in Encinitas, CA

What are Baby Boomers looking for in housing today?

Asked by John Arendsen, Encinitas, CA Tue Feb 5, 2013

OK, Let me qualify this question. I'm 67 years young. Where do I really want to spend my "GOLDEN YEARS"?

Answers

7
Chad Basinger’s answer
Hi John,

Looks like a lot of us in here have a lot in common. I was born and raised in San Diego, lived in the Big Apple for over 10 years and my relatives have lived in Ft. Lauderdale for years, so I have spent a lot of time out there. While thankful for these wonderful experiences, there is no place I'd rather call home than San Diego.

As for Trudi's support for a place downtown, I can tell you that I represented a couple who live in North County Inland, but wanted a "stay-cation" place. They ended up with a place in the Marina District and couldn't be happier. It is easy to maintain, no yard work, close to shopping and restaurants, views to die for, and just a general buzz around there you can't find in the "burbs". The one downside I see, of course, is the relatively high monthly fees.

Now, specifically addressing your question, I'd figure out what your true passions in life are and that should directly affect your living situation. No matter what, I'd suspect that baby boomers want things to be easier as they add years to their life: no stairs, limited yard maintenance, smaller/easily manageable properties, ease of access to airports for those looking to travel, et.al.

I look forward to that day, but in the meantime, I'm going to keep living the dream in America's Finest City.

All the best in whatever it is you end up doing!

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
I think you should do what I did. I grew up in New York City, then lived in Fort Lauderdale for over 25 years.

I visited downtown San Diego and fell in love with the City and bought a condo on my vacation in the Marina District of Downtown. You can walk to a large Mall, Grocery Store, the Waterfront and so much more. There is a variety of price ranges for the Condo's , its all a personal preference.

I call it my "Mini Manhattan." I have met great friends and we always find so many different things to do. I think you should check it out. Oh, we also have great weather!

Trudi Geniale
Broker/Owner
BuyCoastalRealtyllc.com
619-578-1100
Trudigen@live.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
I think it's impossible to generalize about all us baby boomers (or any other group). There are so many factors including economic, health, lifestyle, and so on.

What I do see is a preference for single story living and a move away from the big houses were folks raised a family. This is often a 'down-sizing' time with a preference for homes that are smaller, and require less maintenance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
If you want to enjoy your life to the fullest I would do as I did and move to Downtown San Diego. Its a
great area with a variety of price ranges and there is always something going on. You have grocery stores, a large mall the waterfront all within walking distance. I call it Mini Manhattan!

I moved here from Fort Lauderdale, grew up in New York City and I love living here.

Give me a call if that fits your criteria,

Trudi Geniale
Owner/Broker
Buycoastalrealtyllc.com
619-578-1100
Dre#01457852
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
Chad, if I could give another best answer it would be to you. But you'll just have to settle for a thumbs up. Great answer. I too have a home of 33 years in Vista that I would never give up. So being an avid surfer I built a beach casita in Leucadia for my "Staycation".
You're right Cindy, it is impossible to generalize but you also nailed another important point. DOWN-SIZING. Especially to 1 story homes.

But I'm also starting to see an appreciable increase in BB's wanting to keep the homes they raised their children in but adding an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) aka "granny flat", "elder quarters", "casita", "Backyard Cottage", etc.

I'm thinking a lot of BB'rs are a different breed than their parents who couldn't wait to sell their home, buy their RV or 5 wheeler with their little car towed behind and a "Mobile Home" to call home when they come home from their road trips.

What I'm gleaning now are BBrs who prefer to stay in their own homes or downsize onto a smaller dwelling on their own property in order to stay closer to their families. Or if their families are far away selling their home and moving in with their children and/or on their property in an ADU.

Just a personal observation. But I think it could be the beginning of a whole new market niche in Real Estate and construction..
Trudi, I couldn't agree with you more. I was raised in Cali, lived in Fort Lauderdale/Miami and love Manhatten. But I truly love downtown SD. Just about anywhere you go is the best there is in the World and yes, I've traveled a good part of the globe.

You can go on the most exotic vacations ever. But when you come home to SD you just resume your eternal vacation. San Diego IS truly AMERICA'S FINEST CITY!