Home Buying in Carle Place>Question Details

Thefonz, Home Buyer in Carle Place, NY

What agent should I choose?

Asked by Thefonz, Carle Place, NY Tue Aug 7, 2012

I want to buy a home and approached two different real estate agents. One was very informative, handed us brochures, especially on the real estate law and the responsibility of the agent. The other was very informal, made a lot of gestures, and presented nothing in writing.

Answers

5
Jacques Ambron, CRB CBR SFR’s answer
First of all, my question is which one did you feel more confident with. Second question is how much experience each of them had. I can get a monkey to hand you a stack of legal papers, doesn't mean he is going to help you best. Ultimatley any agent can show you houses, you want one that will handle the transaction well.
Only you can decide that.....who do you like better...
Some things in writing are good, and others not so much. Every agent is required to present you with a disclosure of who they are representing, I give no points for that. A second thing many agents will have you sign is an exclusive agreement tying you to that agent for a period of time. Exclusive agreements are good for the agent, but I do not believe for the customer. Most agents use them, there is nothing unethical about them, but if the agent doesn't live up to your expectations, you are pretty much stuck with them until the agreement runs out. I think you should be more concerned about getting an agent that you are comfortable with and develop a rapport. You should also pick their brain as all agents aren't created equal. Hopefully you are going with a buyer's agent and not a broker's agent, then they can fully advise you and negotiate for you. Good luck, but don't rush into anything, the wrong agent will just waste your time.
Experience is what you want, which had experience.
Agents are all different in their approach and how they work with people. Some are formal and some are informal. That doesn't essentially have anything to do with their knowledge and ability to help you through your real estate transaction. Go with who you like and who you trust.