ycompanys, Home Buyer in Stanford, CA

What Oakland neighborhoods are most affordable and up & coming? (Question was asked in 2009 but looking for an update)

Asked by ycompanys, Stanford, CA Mon Aug 12, 2013

Answers

7
The word affordable could mean many things to people.

What budget range are you looking at, what type of home, and proximity to amenities?

Every neighborhood has a different vibe and appeal.

Folks like the hilly appeal of Millsmont, Maxwell Park ---
And Temescal has also grown to be a truly urban experience
Lofts, condos and townhouses abound in the West Oakland area as well as downtown
Sheffield Village just above 580 and San Leandro has charming Cape Cod-style homes
Bella Vista is close enough to Grand Ave/Lakeshore restaurants, shops, Lake Merrirr

Laurel, Dimond, Jingletown, Adams Point,

Perhaps this will help....each has a link you can click on to get info about the neighborhood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neighborhoods_in_Oakland…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
Hello- We have a few neighborhoods that are up and coming. The Tuxedo, Allendale, Upper Peralta Creek and Frick are all areas that are still affordable and up and coming. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Mireille 510.219.4304
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
Havenscourt is a beautiful and up and coming neighborhood adjacent to Maxwell Park and Millsmont. The diversity here is fantastic, and everyday improvements are being made such as trees being planted, schools improving in API, and like minded individuals moving in to bring about positive change to this area of Oakland. It's a great investment, so if you see a house you can afford in Havenscourt, then you better move fast!
I hate to disappoint you with this answer, but that question is way to vague to be answered correctly . There are several area's that "could" fit with your request, but what means affordable to me is not the same as to you. And the same for up and coming. In my monthly real estate meetings I get this question often, and it is not until I get answers to many questions I have for the buyer that we can get it down to a "few" area's of interest. Work with an agent to narrow down your criteria and specifics, and specific area's will come up from that.
A
Agreed, but I'm not looking for a specific house right now. I'm just trying to understand the overall market. As such, one can observe "movement" in a neighborhood -- that is, an area can be considered up and coming, if it is priced lower than the median price of homes sold in Oakland (Trulia says around $400K) and is experiencing brisk sales, such that the available inventory of homes is running out quickly.
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
Hi Oakland from 98th to fruitvale are pretty affordable but there are some short sale and foreclosed properties on the hill side which are better investments. Of you like any listings just send me an email or call me.

Jain Rishab
BRE # 01892399
Realtor (RE/MAX ACTIVE REALTY)
Short Sale and Foreclossure Resource
510 676 4770 (CELL)
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
Thank you, Mireille.

Are Upper Peralta Creek, Peralta Hacienda, and Fruitvale all picking up, or just Upper Peralta Creek?

I've also found a lot of affordable and beautiful (historic) houses in Millsmont, Eastmont, and Castlemont. Are these areas good as well?

You mentioned Tuxedo. I know nothing of Ivy Hill, Clinton, Highland Park, Oak Tree, and San Antonio. Are these any good?

Finally, everyone keeps suggesting West Oakland is ready for a renaissance. Do they mean all of West Oakland, or just the Lower Bottoms (Prescott)?

Everyone else, please feel free to chime in too.

Thanks again,

Yosem
Dear Yosem,

I would stick with Upper Peralta Creek for the moment, because you have higher comps here.

Yes, Millsmont, Eastmont Hills, and Castlemont have some great values and nice properties also, and in this market that is huge.

Tuxedo has some great homes and well maintain streets, Highland Park and Ivy Hill, and Cleveland Heights I would recommend.

West Oakland - Yes some of the areas in West Oakland have very high comps and Emeryville is making its way over and we all have high hopes for West Oakland. As far as the Lower Bottoms and Prescott area you are asking about it really depends on what you are looking for exactly.

Give me a call for send me an email for more details about these areas. We can also go on a neighborhood tour, so you can see the areas first hand.
510.219.4304 vontrapprealtor@gmail.com

Mireille
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Looks like you got your answer. If you are looking to purchase in the area and need a loan, I can certainly help you out. You can call me at 408-352-5147 or email me at AGreer@themortgageoutlet.com. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com. I will look at your situation and present you with some options.

Alex Greer