Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Arkangel, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

WhaTs the street value of plantation shutters?

Asked by Arkangel, Fremont, CA Sat Mar 17, 2012

We are buying a short sale and in the MLS listing it was stated hat the shutters were not included but could be negotiated. We agreed with the thought that these are custom made and they probably wouldnt be able to sell them for much to anyone else.

How much should we reasonably expect to pay? The home is 2700sq ft, 5 bedrooms. With an additional 8-10 windows in the living/dining area.

Answers

14
Hi Arkangel,

I would recommend calling a shutter shop to see how much they would think these would go for new (including install), and then adjust for condition and age.

Kind regards,

Arpad
I think it depends on your area. I would suggest calling the real estate agent your working with and seeing what they say. They should help you know if it's a good value or not and what your next step should be. I would recommend calling them soon! http://www.blindsandcurtainperth.com.au/shutters-and-timber-blinds/
Flag Wed Feb 25, 2015
It's a short sale.
The bank has continuously betrayed the owner starting with refusing to do a modification.

The seller is attempting to rake back anything of value they invested in the property.

Be aware, they will walk away from this transaction with only the lint in their pockets.

When you do the final walk through, and the shutters are not there, will you refuse to close?

This is the outcome you could face. So, do what needs to be done to get to the closing table without distress. As others have stated, the seller can not profit and you, the seller, all the agents involved, including their brokers, will sign documents swearing no 'behind the curtain' deals were made under penalty of.....something or the other.

You are in the 'Wild, Wild, West of Real Estate' where anything can and does happen.
You are working with sellers, emotionally strained, who have been continuously betrayed, disregarded, abused and unceasingly harassed by everyone. Express some understanding by turning towards and watch what happens.

The answer to your question, "What is the street value?" ZERO.
What is the value attached to those windows, 'Approximately $200 per window.
Raking back a $12,000 investment in shutters is understandable, but desperate. Try reasoning.
It depends. We bought shutters in Newmarket but they probably have a different value than in California.
Hi as to your last question YES you go by what is in the contract....Good Luck!
Shutters are a FIXED item because they are screwed or nailed in. This makes them PART of the property and should not be allowed to be removed. Shutters can range in price from $13.00 a square ft to $40.00 or more a sq ft. They do add value. They absolute value can be based on condition and style. If you invested $5k in shutters and they are still in good condition, getting that investment back at sale time should not be a problem. It will also help sell your home faster when shutters are listed on the MLS
Interesting. That's what I thought as well, that the shutters would be automatically included with the house. They sound like nice shutters, that were probably fashioned specifically for the home. I think you should discuss your options with your realtor, but you should also be willing to pay a little extra for the shutters. That might end up happening as well. | http://www.qldblinds.com
Flag Wed Nov 19, 2014
Hi I will sale for 18.00 square foot need to know the size of you windows
this the real shutter made from bass solid wood and nice moldings
take the sizes with x h in 3 places and the smaller is the size .
this is my phone# (909)730 0037
I think shutters do a lot to transform the look of the house, but they don't really add any monetary value. If you are looking to sell your house they might help bring buyers in to look at your house. Overall, I don't think people are going to pay extra just because you have fancy shutters. http://www.trustlink.org
Flag Sat Oct 25, 2014
Arkangel, I answered your question already. But, I wanted to add that in a short sale the seller is NOT ALLOWED BY LAW TO PROFIT FROM THE SALE. It is against the law for them to be trying to sell anything on the side and make a profit. Your agent should mention this fact the the listing agent......Dawn
Web Reference: http://DawnRivera4Homes.com
Not necessarily... it depends on how your contract is worded, and trade customs in your area. This is a great question to ask your Realtor or attorney. Hopefully you're working with one or the other. If not, check the contract you've signed and read it carefully.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hi Arkangel,
I agree completely with Alan. make your offer contingent on the shutters. They are custom made and the seller would have a hard time selling them to anyone else. Dawn
Thanks for the replys. They had it listed on the MLS. We wrote the offer without any exclusions of fixtures, and were told they accepted the offer.

So the bottom line will be since it was not excluded on the contract, its staying with the house, correct?
Thanks for the question. Two things come to mind because this is a short sale. First do not pay any monies outside of escrow. This has potential to be considered loan fraud. Second, because you would show this payment on the HUD 1, I doubt the short sale lenders will agree to it.
Funny you should ask. I also know of another short sale where the seller wants to sell the shutters. Bear in mind these shutters were probably custom made for the property. If they were to take them down, who's to know where else they can use them?

Offer them a token $500 as a show of good faith and some willingness to negotiate (shutters can be very pricey)...and if they won't accept it, then just write the offer for the property without the shutters. You may be surprised if they leave them behind. But if they don't then you can choose your own window covers
the "street value"? Since they're custom-made plantation shutters, they have almost zero value to anyone other than the owner of this house.

here's my negotiation strategy: "our offer is contingent on all the plantation shutters staying with the house... period."
Actually, shutters do add value and they are a fixed item and become part of the propety since they are nail and/or screwed in
Flag Mon Apr 1, 2013
Arkangel:

First, did the Sellers EXCLUDE the shutters from the sale as a condition of accepting your offer?

Para 8(B)2 of the purchase contract covers these as items included in the sale.

-Steve