Home Buying in Somerville>Question Details

yiwen.gao0724, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

West somerville

Asked by yiwen.gao0724, Boston, MA Wed Oct 9, 2013

How is the neighborhood? I know the area that is close to davis sq is pricy, but how about the area that is >=1miles to davis sq.
I noticed that the condo there often can stay in the market for a while

Answers

4
The problem with the part of West Somerville that I think you are talking about -- north of Teele Square toward Arlington -- is that it is a bit of a public transportation slow-spot. There are buses that run down Broadway that go to Davis. However, it is a long walk to Davis from that corner of town to Davis.
The businesses along Broadway are not as useful as other areas of town. Some good take-out restaurants (who also deliver), a laundromat, and some specialty shops. The Stop n Shop is a good thing; when Star left, it created a supermarket void. If you are way to the north of town, you may find yourself using the Whole Foods in Medford, just north of Boston Avenue.
All-in-all, it is like a lot of Somerville, just not so close to the Red Line, where the market is overheated. There is nothing defective about the housing stock there. You can check with the police; I expect the crime rates are typical. There may be some extra noise or nuisance if you live near a crowded undergrad rental, but those thin out the farther you are from Tufts. Some people complain about the football game noise from Dilboy Field.
We are in a funny market here in Somerville. Normally, a month is not an outrageous time for a property to be on the market. But recently, my clients ask me "what's wrong with it?" if a property doesn't sell the first week on the market. Some of the time, what's wrong with it is that it is overpriced, sometimes, it is ugly or awkwardly laid out, and sometimes, it is just not close enough to expectation to make buyers jump into the competition.
The very hot market fades the farther you venture from the Red Line in all directions. It is normal that properties take a month or more to sell there. The price and sale speed difference can probably be chalked up to the longer commute because of the additional 20+ minutes to get to the Red Line daily. The area compares pretty closely with the areas north and east of Porter Square that are as far away from the Red Line.
I have seen some fairly nice condos between North Street and Curtis Street, north of Powderhouse Bvld that have sold since the hot market took hold. Some were pretty good deals. Look at each property carefully.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
Two years ago anything outside of a mile from D SQ or P SQ was too far for new buyers and prices fell off and days on market increased beyond that range. Rising prices have pushed that to 1.5 miles and, depending on the property, beyond. It's not the neighborhoods it's the distance, which, really, 1.5 miles is too far to walk? Which leads me to say that there are value opportunities in these areas in comparison to the overheated near D-P Sq neighborhoods. There are some area's, obviously, in Somerville, that are not as desirable as others, but even that is a changing target. And if you're looking to be around a while and are willing to roll the dice vis a vis the GreenLine...there are some great opportunities out there. I have seen some very nice condos in the Tufts area (just showed one last night) which are lingering for no good reason.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
Please see the provided link below to connect with a professional agent in this area who would be more than willing to assist you and answer any additional questions you might have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
Rona is right, less PT options impact sales. If you are looking for a more insulated investment perhaps consider areas of Somerville closer to the squares and PT ( stronger numbers). You may sacrifice a little on size / price ratio but safer bet in terms of long term investment.

Here is everything on the market in Somerville listed on a map so you can zoom in and see proximity to PT:
http://territory.com/search?search_string=SOMERVILLE&min…

Hope that helps!

Territory Real Estate
Massachusetts #1 Brokerage for Home Buyer's
617 848 5407 ext 704
Web Reference: http://territory.com