Tikki Pembo, Home Buyer in Washington, PA

West Windsor Townhouses: Windsor Ponds and Windsor Haven - thoughts?

Asked by Tikki Pembo, Washington, PA Sat Jul 13, 2013

I'm currently commuting to Trenton from NYC and the long commute is taking its toll on me. I thought about purchasing a place in Princeton, but that idea has been put on the backburner. It was suggested that I buy a simple townhouse, live there for a year or so, but keep trying to buy a place to Princeton.If I'm finally successful, I can rent out my townhouse. .

I was wondering if you know anything about these complexes (Windsor Ponds and Haven) - any issues, what is the community like, HOA issues, and etc? It's just me and my dogs.I was also wondering if there is demand if I decided to rent out the townhouse. Thanks.

Answers

7
Hi Tikki,

I am not a realtor, but I am a resident of Windsor Haven. My husband and I commute to NYC, and this community is very convenient to the train station (a 12 minute walk), allowing us to remain a one-car family. Windsor Ponds is a beautiful community (with higher-end townhouses), but it will add travel time to your commute (about 10-15 minutes) and to your costs. Moreover, you will need a parking permit for the train station if you drive there (which you will have to do from Windsor Ponds, unless the community provides a shuttle bus). You obviously need to see both communities for yourself to get a real feel, but if you are looking for a decent townhouse in a well-maintained, park-like community that is peaceful, yet is walking distance to a major train station, then Windsor Haven is a good choice.

I also want to add that someone below said that there are no HOA fees in either community. While I am not knowledgeable on the subject with regard to Windsor Ponds, there IS a monthly HOA for Windsor Haven, but it is not exorbitant.

Windsor Ponds & Windsor Haven both have monthly association dues;fairly typical of most town home communities
Flag Wed Sep 18, 2013
Thats " In the trenches " :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 11, 2013
Hi Tikki,
Yes -the commute into NYC can be a long one especially if it is daily & coupled with a full days of work. For many people the strategy you are considering makes sense. Buy now - a good investment to become a rental property - and later move up into a private home. Of the two communities you mentioned Windsor Haven can be a walk to the train station. I have not heard of issues within these communities, their HOA's and they are both comfortable with pets.

With today's historically low interest rates now is Great time to buy.
Affordability at its best.
If you have yet to make your move I am pleased to help.

Please contact me directly at
609.240.9879 or lweil@glorianilson.com

Lisa Weil
Gloria Nilson & Co
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Hi Tikki,

As a #West Windsor Plainsboro expert for over 10 years , I have worked with buyers "in the tranches" over each of the good & bad years.
Each community comes with it's desirability factor & this dictates the purchase price.

If your priority is to simplify the commute, some other options may meet your needs.
If it is a combination of price & commute, then the options change.

What you need is a customized plan that takes into account financials, future needs & lifestyle.

This IS what I do best !

For the rest of the factors, I work with Competent & Smart-as-whip, professionals who make the rest as seamless as possible for my clients !

See profile for recommendations : http://www.linkedin.com/in/shaluthaman

Please contact for a personalized consultation :-

Shalu Thaman - Realtor,ePRO
Keller Williams Princeton Real Estate
Cell # 609.577.5861
Fax # 609.613.5907
http://PrincetonHomeNj.com
Tikki,

I would be better equipped to suggest something if I know a little better about your plan.

Having said that, form the information you've provided here, yes, Windsor Heaven AND Ponds are both good communities and have no HOA issues. The houses in this township come at a premium due to a very successful school district. But due to the same reason they get rented out also very easily.

I've got clients in both the communities... I live work and specialize in this and the surrounding areas...

Have you thought of Parking expenses if you live in Windsor Ponds? Windsor Haven is walking distance to the station...

Give me a call and I can give you all the pertinent data, reports and insight to facilitate your decision.

Trupti Gandhi
Sales Associate

Cell: 609.903.8903
Office: 609.9878889 Ext. 1395
Hi Tikki,

Let me start by saying it is difficult for anyone to accurately predict the future of real estate but I am sure you have heard the term "location-location". The Princeton area has been very desirable for a long time but that translates into higher real estate costs. There are many purchase opportunities in popular surrounding communities that you might like and that might fit your budget.

My advice is that you contact a local Realtor to help you with your search because that could save you a lot of time and energy as you search for the right home.

Gloria Laughton Allston
COLDWELL BANKER REAL ESTATE
10 NASSAU STREET
PRINCETON, NJ
Hi Tikki,
My first thought was to ask you a lot of questions before I tried to answer these questions. Instead I decided to address my biggest concern about your plan. I want to make sure you don't loose money. I put myself in your shoes and project into the future when it's time to move again and I need to decide to sell or rent my townhouse. It costs a lot of money to sell house, so that expense can be avoided by keeping the property and renting it. So that means I need to focus my decision on making a good investment, because I'm going to be a landlord in the future. As an investor I like to have a positive cash flow, so I need to analyse the current rental rates and compare that to the cost of ownership, then I need to buy in a location that has positive cash flow. I have a pro forma spread sheet in excel that I'd be happy to share with you. The spreadsheet will help you make a smart investment. I'd also be happy yo run a rental report for you, so that you can determine how much debt the rent can service in each development. I've done this for other investors and it's helped them a lot.
Let me know if you would like my help,
Drew