Home Buying in Gateway West>Question Details

P Stone, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

West Sacramento: The Rivers vs new homes down Jefferson Blvd

Asked by P Stone, Sacramento, CA Fri Apr 25, 2008

Hi! I need to move to Sacramento for a job I accepted downtown. I have looked at the homes in West Sacramento (on mls) and it seems there are two areas with newer homes - The Rivers and those homes down Jefferson Blvd. My question is which location do you think will hold its value better (if any)? It seems there are so many short sales in the Jefferson Blvd area.

I am not sure which is the better option for under $400k.

P.S. Any agents who specialize in the West Sac area, I would be interested in hearing from.

Answers

3
There are a lot of foreclosures in West Sacramento, but you can also get some fabulous buys there. I would caution that the problem with buying a home in an area where foreclosures are affecting value is it may take a while for those areas to turn back around. So, it might not be a good candidate for a short-term hold, but if you plan to stay put for a while, you'll fare better.

Typically, West Sac homes toward the river are a bit more desirable on the other side of Jefferson. You will certainly be able to buy a larger home in West Sacramento for $400,000 than you would, say, in Midtown or downtown. But downtown / Midtown values are holding strong, as is Land Park and Curtis Park. So, you might want to consider those areas as well. But if you have your heart set on a newer, larger home, then West Sac or Natomas will be your best bet.
Southport and the Rivers are West Sac's newest subdivisions. The Rivers would arguably be a better location (closer to downtown Sacramento, adjacent to the river), but it's a much smaller development and therefore more subject to the whims of the market than the much larger Southport area further south off of Jefferson. Just keep in mind that brand new subdivsions usually take a few years to establish their "identity" so I always encourage people to take their time when buying in new neighborhoods. Look at the location, quality of life, proximity to amenities and services, and even things like quality of landscaping and mature trees.

I'd really recommend getting a tour of the areas from an agent who knows them--and comparing them to other new subdivisions close to downtown. West Sac definitely offers proximity to downtown, but it's easy to keep questing further into Southport to find a place you'll like--and before you know it you're as far away as you would be in North Natomas or the Arden area.

Rob McQuade, ABR, REALTOR®
McMartin Realty
Tel (916) 444-7577 or Toll Free (866) 720-CITY (2489)

http://www.RobMcQuade.com
You might also want to check out the northern part of west sac up around westlake drive or watercolor lane, there's a small neighborhood of new homes up there that seem to have quite a bit of open space around them and a relatively short trip over the bridge to downtown.