Home Buying in West Ghent>Question Details

lalalanakila, Other/Just Looking in Norfolk, VA

West Ghent basements...

Asked by lalalanakila, Norfolk, VA Tue Oct 29, 2013

Do homeowners in West Ghent usually finish their basements? I am seeing a lot of houses that say they have basements but I'm wondering if they are finished. Or do they usually not finish them since they're so close to the waterfront? thanks

Answers

3
Seldom are basements in Norfolk finished. Most of the houses with basements were built early in the 20th century. They are English basements, also called half basements. If you see a house with 5 or 6 steps up to the front door, it is likely to have a basement. When these houses were built the basements housed the heating plant and plumbing access. Sometimes they are used for storage.

And you are correct, because of the proximity to water, and a possible high water table, I tell folks to expect that the basements are at times damp, if not wet.
As a rule, most basements are not finished in Ghent, nor the rest of the area, due to the high water table that exists in the area. I was fortunate enough to assist a client last year in purchasing a remarkable property in that area, that had a basement, but was mainly used for storage, and workout/manroom space. Please don't hesitate to call on me, if I may offer you further assistance with homes in Ghent, or any other area in Hampton Roads. Also, feel free to check out http://www.dannydehaven.norfolkareahomesearch.com, and see all of the up-to-the- minute listings for all of Hampton Roads. Thanks, and have a great day!
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
Hi Lalalakila,

Most basements I've seen in Norfolk are yukky. It's essential to have a sump pump in the basement in case it fills with water and it needs pumping out. Normally they are accessed by narrow scarey stairs. And if I owned a basement in Norfolk I wouldn't store anything that I valued in the basement.

Best, KK German, Wainwright Real Estate, kkgerman@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.kkgerman.com