Home Buying in Wellesley>Question Details

Roxane, Home Buyer in Knoxville, TN

Wellesley building variance possibilty?

Asked by Roxane, Knoxville, TN Sat Oct 3, 2009

How strict is Wellesley as far as granting building variances for setback limits? We are considering a purchase that would be contingent on being able to add a garage (none exists,) that may encroach on the 20 ft. side limit.

Answers

4
I would suggest speaking with the Town of Wellesley Building Commissioner. Here's the information:

Contact Michael T. Grant
Building Commissioner and Zoning Enforcement Officer
Address: 525 Washington Street, Lower Level
Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: (781) 431-1019 X2228
Fax: (781) 283-5724
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:00
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Hi, I would call the zoning board of appeals and give them all your information and the secretary to the board would be very helpful in answering your questions, Ken barber
Roxane:

As with all variances and subject too offers there are risks involved. It will really depend on where in Wellesley and how your addition will effect the neighbors and the neighborhood. Wellesley is known for new construction and additions. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us. Best
My fiancee and I almost bought what we thought was a "buildable" lot in Wellesley, in a fantastic investment area. We found, before putting an offer in, that Wellesley is particularly difficult when it comes to building variances.

Chad Pessini of Beaconstreet Builders in Newton is a real estate investor who is very experienced in building codes in Wellesley and Newton, in particular. If you would like him to look into more detail and help you with a more solid answer (based on some pieces of information that may be needed), I would be glad to put you in touch with him.