Home Buying in Tucson>Question Details

Nadine Berg, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

We will be in NV. in Sept. and perhaps re-locating to Tucson within two years. Is it too soon to look? We have specific needs- high walk score.

Asked by Nadine Berg, Tucson, AZ Thu Jul 5, 2012

Hi Nadine,

I hate to inject a negative tone into this discussion, but if a high walk score is a priority, then Tucson may not be the place for you. I am from New York, which I believe has the highest walk score of any city in the country, and I really miss that in Tucson. There are plenty of places to walk for exercise and there are great hiking trails in the mountains surrounding Tucson, but with the exception of several neighborhoods already mentioned, you will need a car to do most errands.

It is difficult to answer your question as to what to look for without knowing, beyond what you have already mentioned, what your priorities are. I would suggest that you pay us a visit to get a feel for the Tucson area and determine if it is right for you. You may want to look at a few homes just to see what they are like, but remember that the market may be very different when you are ready to buy.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
Hi David... thanks for the advice- but we are thoroughly aware that Tucson is a great deal different than NY. We will soon be of retirement age, and we can have a nice dinner and movie anywhere. We want a slower pace. In regard to neighborhoods to live in- all we need is ONE. I am sure something would attract us. We will still have a car- but just my husband drives. We just need to get a feel of the city.

thanks much,
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi Nadine,

You may want to live in a certain area of town, depending on your activites or if you have friends or family. There is a difference between living in the NE, vs, N, vs NW, and etc. Really depends on your wants and desires.

There are also adult only communities, again depending on your preference(s). Not to give you even more options but you may want to consider Oro Valley, Green Valley, and or Sahaurita.

Take care.

Hi Spirit
We have no family in Tucson, so it's just a new adventure. We will need a residence however with a high walk score, because I don't drive, and don't want to be totally dependant on my husband. Being a New Yorker, I like to walk.... so I will need a community where I can do so.

Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
Since we will be out west anyways, I was thinking of just touring neighborhoods, and checking out the city. Anything we should look for? We will probably be in retirement at that point.

You can look online, but no way do you want to even entertain the idea of looking at homes until you are closer to moving here. Right now, for clients moving to Tucson I am advising not to view a property unless you will be here within the month. A well priced property is and will sell FAST in today's hot market.

If or when you are ready you may want to consider workign with a local Realtor, click on the profiles of the agents that took the time to answer your question today, ready their profile, what do past clients say about them (recommendations) and give one a call.

I wish you the best.

Spirit Messingham, PLLC
3rd Generation Full-Time Realtor®
Tierra Antigua Realty
Direct (520) 471-6900
Fax (866) 365-5208
I agree with Donna. Armory Park, downtown, Sam Hughes and Blenman/Elm neighborhoods
also have high walk scores. I specialize in these areas if you need assistance down the line.
Hi Nadine,

Way too soon to look. The houses on the market now will be sold within the next few months. Two years from now, I expect prices will be higher.

To my knowledge, a high walk score (over 80) can only be found near Campbell and Glenn, about a mile and a half north of UA. It's a terrific neighborhood with properties ranging from $100K to $300K. Most of my sales and all of my rentals are in that area.

Because this is an area of houses built in the 1940s to 1960s, each one is unique. You may find one that is perfect for you next week, but that doesn't mean a house like it will be available for the same price in two years. On the other hand, if you look at what's on the market now (and they are selling within days), and you don't find anything you like, that doesn't mean that there won't be something that's perfect for you two years from now.

Houses built since 1990 tend to be in subdivisions built by large home building companies. The houses are close together, frame stucco, similar in appearance, and far from amenities. So they have low walk scores. There are a few exceptions, but they are custom (i.e., expensive) homes or located in very small subdivisions, which have their own set of financial and management issues to consider.

In general, only the older houses near UofA and downtown will be close enough to stores and restaurants to warrant a high walkscore.

Donna Moulton
Associate Broker
Tierra Antigua Realty

It's definitely not too soon to begin your home search. Shoot me an email (jservoss@kw.com) at your convenience and I will gladly set you up on a Tucson home search and coordinate to mail you a Tucson relocation package.

James Servoss

Keller Williams Southern Arizona
Hi Nadine,

No, it is not too soon to look so that you can start becoming familiar with the different areas that may meet your needs once you know that you are going to relocate. Once you know you are going to relocate, you can then concentrate on searching for the right home, whether it be a rental or to puchase. I would be happy to assist you with your search. Feel free to search communities and homes through my web site or call me.

Kind regards,
Wilda S. Sobansky
It is probably too soon to look for a specific home. Tucson has very low inventory and good deals are gone in days... If not hours. I had an investor lock up the house 4 hours after it went on mls last week. Home prices are going up too. It is not too soon to do research and perhaps visit to decide where you want to live in Tucson. It certainly is not too soon to start looking for employment as it could take a while to find the right position.
Since homes are climbing in price here, you may want to see about buying your home and renting it out until you are ready to relocate. There is a strong demand for good rentals.
Either way, I would be happy to be a resource for you.
Doug Seemann
Hi there. We will probably be retiring when moving in the next few years- and I don't drive, but my husband does. (New Yorker here!) Is there a good source for an overview of areas that would be good for us? Then we can visit those areas. I thought the university area might do it.

Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
For me it's never to early to start looking, since you have certain demands. We can start the process. Why don't you give me a call 520-867-0166