Larry, Other/Just Looking in Safety Harbor, FL

We (wife & me) are relocating to Florida in 5 months and can't decide between Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs and Safety Harbor.

Asked by Larry, Safety Harbor, FL Sun Mar 7, 2010

Looking for a single family home, w/pool, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. Open concept. 2 garage. Help suffering from Trulia overload!

Answers

11
Safety Harbor is adorable!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
Hi Larry,

If the High School is important to you (and it will affect your future resale value) then you may want to be within the boundary lines for the best High School in Tampa Bay, Palm Harbor University High School.

All three cities are great options.

I can also set you up with http://www.ListingBook.com and it gives you more info and it is real time updated from our Realtor MLS system.

Hope this helps.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, P.A.
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Alma @SoldOnTampa.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 7, 2010
Safety Harbor is a delightful town with a beautiful park and pier and Right on Tampa Bay
Larry, there are some great answer here, but I still felt I should weigh in--as a long-term (over 30 years) resident of Palm Harbor (the old side, not the Eastlake part), my opinion is fairly obvious, however I have looked at the surrounding areas many times with a critical eye--the biggest downside, for instance, to where I live is proximity: great for the water (Gulf), not so great to city centers of Tampa and St. Pete.

If I chose to move, I would probably go with Jim's answer--it would be Safety Harbor, because they have all of the features there that I feel are most important to ME--proximity to water, community events and involvement, and central to everything. The city itself is very artsy, and has a lovely community feel. The water access is not direct Gulf, as is Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs, but since I rarely sail far from shore anyway I don't think that would be a huge negative.
But, I'm a sailor--what things are most important to YOU?

Having said that--you have to make the choice that's right for YOUR family--what I recommend to my clients is to make a list, a T-chart if you will--of the pros and cons of each area--you & the wife do this seperately, then get together and compare notes--where the two lists agree, that could be your choice! Also, to help in community comparison, you can sign up for a free Listingbook account (below)--there is a nifty feature that does just that, giving statistics and demographics and everything!

Hello Larry, all three areas are great choices. I have lived and worked in Palm Harbor ( East Lake area ) for the past 15 years. I can answer almost any questions you may have. My son attended Brooker creek elem & East Lake high ( both high rated schools). I don't know if schools are a factor. Tarpon Springs extends from west all the way to East Lake rd (CR611) & north past Keystone rd. East Lake Woodlands is also a nice community located along the E/L corridor but the zip states Oldsmar. I don't know how familiar you are with the areas and this may sound confusing, but I can explain better in person or over the phone. Please don't hesitate to call for more info or any questions you may have. All areas offer a wide range of price ranges, age of home, size ( square footage ) etc. If you email me a price range , I can send info to you from all areas. There will be NO OBLIGATION , but I would like to speak with you, meet you and hopefully be your Realtor and assist you to find the right house and community. Thank you, RICH MEINKE ,Realtor, GRI , SRES. PRUDENTIAL TROPICAL REALTY ( CELL # 727 644 5754 ) Please call any time. PS,I answer my own phone .
Hi Larry,

Where are you moving from? Since your email says Safety Harbor, are you currently renting here?

All three towns have benefits. It is more than just a house, it is your lifestyle. I suggest talking with a professional realtor and telling them what is important to you. For example: 1. Will you be working, if so where, how far a commute are you willing to have? 2. Do you have children living at home and are schools a consideration? 3. What's your lifestyle? Are you an outdoor person, golf, biking, etc.? Do you want to be in a golf community or near a golf course or the Pinellas Trail. 4. Do you have pets? 5. Are you looking for a 55+ community?

As for the actual home you want a 3/2/2 open floor plan with a pool. What's the minimum sq. footage? What price range do you want to stay under? Do you want one story or doesn't matter? Do you want high or vaulted ceilings. Is the age of the home important to you? Do you favor any particular style? Are you financing or cash? If you are financing have you spoken to a lender yet?

These are some of the things that speaking directly with an professional realtor will help them get a feel for the right house for you. Interview a few and find one you are comfortable with.

While you are looking for a home on line,I have a free service called “Listingbook”, which I provide for my clients. It is like a back door into the MLS which updates daily: new listings, price changes, solds & withdrawns, allowing you to really be able to follow and learn the market. I set up a basic search according to your guidelines. Once you are in, you can change the parameters as you need. If this is something you would be interested in let me know. If you would like to interview me give me a call or email me the best time to call you.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, CDM
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
Larry,

All 3 areas are great ares to live and I can understand why you would have a hard time deciding between the three. The first place I would say you should start researching is http://www.pinellascounty.org/Municipalities.htm. This is the Pinellas County website where you will have links to all the local city websites and the demographics of each area. Since I don't know what your want's and needs are regarding location, here are just a few things I can tell you about the three areas which may or may not be of any importance to you. Of the three locations, Palm Harbor is the only one that does not have it's own city officials, water dept, trash & sewage and is considered Unincorporated Pinellas. As previously mentioned, If you plan on working in or your wanting the easiest commute to Tampa, then Safety Harbor would definately offer you the shortest travel time. However, generally speaking, if your wanting to get the most home for the least amount, then I would tend to lean towards the Tarpon Springs area.

Hopefully you will find some of this information helpfull in your decision making, However should you have any specific questions about any of the areas or would just like some more general information from a local, please don't hesitate to contact me as I would be glad to answer any questions or provide you additional resources to help in your decision making.

Michael McCullough
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
(727)631-5050
Hello Larry,
All three areas have great things to offer. There are some sites available to assit you in identifying which are best works for you. In the meantime please feel free to go to my website and take a look around. If you need any additonal information don't hesitate to contact me.

Rod Doorlag - Your Real Estate Vessel
Prudential Tropical Realty
http://rdoorlag.prudentialtropical.com
Cell- 727-515-9959
Office- 727-835-1843
Fax- 727-847-1802
I lived in Clearwater for 2 years and there was a lot more hustle and bustle
If you would like to be in a more quaint area -yet close to all of the beaches
how about South Pasadena or Gulfport??? I say you come and visit so that you
can see ALL of the wonderful areas we have here in Pinellas county.

Have you been set up on a free search yet? We have a great service called listingbook
that is tied to the MLS for the most up to date information delivered to your morning e-mail
according you your criteria.

If you are interested please contact me and I will set you up SheriRay@remax.net
Web Reference: http://www.SheriRay.com
Larry,

All 3 are very different. I've lived in Safety Harbor for 21 years so I'm a bit biased. This is generalizing but I think SH offers the best location of the 3 since it's close to the heart of the county & you an get about anywhere in the county, including the most remote beach area in 45 minutes max. Most destinations are either close by or within 30 minutes. SH, like Tarpon, offer quirky, but desireable downtown areas. I've never heard anything other than positive comments about the little community. There are some newer subdivisions that would offer the type of home you're interested in. TS is also very different than most towns you'll find because of the heavy concentration of Greeks, the fishing/shrimp/sponge docks, etc. Tarpon is pretty good-sized & runs several miles east to west so you can also find many newer subdivsions, particularly in the northeast areas - also it's a totally different feel. It's also probably the least convenient depending on your commute. Palm Harbor is actually a large unincorporated area of Pinellas County spread out over a lot of territory south of TS with a lot of newer subdivsions but not much downtown to speak of. If I can offer more assistance please call or email. I think you'll like it here - wecome. Jim Moran/Broker-Associate/Prudential Tropical Realty. 727-451-8773 Email: jimdmoran@tampabay.rr.com
I'm not a local, but I have family in Tarpon Springs and have been visiting the place for 15 years. We always have a great time there.