Home Buying in Saint Louis>Question Details

GCheli, Home Buyer in Saint Louis, MO

We were working with an agent very briefly but were dissatisfied. He would show up with food on his clothes, fingernails untrimmed, with zero ...

Asked by GCheli, Saint Louis, MO Sun Apr 14, 2013

...With zero information about the properties we wanted to see. He didn't listen to any of our requests, ignored me when we asked him to do anything. The only thing he did was unlock doors at houses that I picked out. Basically every house he sent is in areas we specifically said we weren't interested in. We now have our preapproval and haven't talked to that agent in about three weeks... We're looking to work with someone else. I've found a number of listings and have called the listing agents but for some reason I can't get a response to save my life. Does it have anything to do with the old agent or is everyone just extremely busy right now? We are not in a rush necessarily to purchase a house but there are a few listings we'd like to check out but have no one to show them to us. We spoke briefly to the agent that sold my fiance's parents their house and she's a big name agent and doesn't appear to have much time to work with us.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks so much!

Answers

12
First of all, did you sign a Buyers Agency Agreement with this Agent. If you did, that doesn't mean you can't " fire" him. You should let him and his Brokerage know that you no longer wish to work with him.
Secondly, are you interested in any of the properties that he did show you? If not, there is no issue. If so, even if you don't want him to represent you in your purchase, the agent who does represent you would need to work out the details with him. In other words if he showed it to you he has an interest (he will expect a portion of he commission) if you then pursue the purchase.
There are many exceptional agents in St Louis, I'm sorry you had experience with someone who was not. If you would like more information on how to deal with your situation, don't hesitate to call or text me. 314-660-4968
See how popular you just became? ;)
I take showers, brush my hair, scrub my teeth, and wear a bib when I eat ! I'm usually readily available to show properties to buyers ready, willing, and able. If you're interested, contact me via:
http://www.mystlouisagent.com/contact-tom
When you hire a realtor, you are going to work together, it's like with anyone you choose in your life, it has to be a match, not only about the experience and knowledge but also about the relationship you are building . You would not chose a Doctor with poor bedside manners. so why would you get involved with an agent like that?
This is an important decision and you ideally would like to be in a position where you can trust the Broker and feel that he/ she is working to get your trust. Remember birds of a feather....
They say in Real Estate, it's all about Location. Maybe it's all about Relationships.

Muriel Levin,
Realtor, Broker in the Greater Los Angeles Area
Agent Immobilier a Los Angeles, Californie
muriellevin@gmail.com
323-363-9140
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 17, 2013
In additon to the good advice you have received from other agents responding to your question you may want to also consider another thought. Since you may already have an idea of where you want to live in the area, drive around and make a note of the real estate signs in that area and pick the 2-3 companies that seem to have the most lisitngs. Then contact the company and talk to the managing broker who can give you the name of a good agent in their office that would be best suited for your situation. This is the busy time of the year for many agents and you will be competing with others for their time. Be clear with them as to what you are looking for and your timeline for making your decison to buy. By taking this approach, I am sure you will find your anxiety level go down and your satisfaction level go way up. It is a team effort and everybody has a role to play. Good luck!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
That's horrible and hilarious at the same time. I remember when I purchased my home I was in the same situation but not having certain knowledge how the process worked I figured oh well guess I'll manage with it which eventually led to me becoming a Realtor.

Fire the Realtor if you feel as if he isn't being responsive or professional at all. If you signed a Buyers Agency Agreement I would call the office and ask to speak with the managing broker and tell them you want it terminated or if possible email them directly so you have proof of it.

Call different Realtors and feel them out. Speak to your lender perhaps they can refer you to someone they've worked with in the past. If they don't please you fire them too! The home buying experience should be a great memory not a one to frown about. Sure they'll be deadlines to meet and negotiations to be had but overall knowing you have the guidance and support needed along the way will make it a pleasant experience.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
You might consider taking a few hours on a Sunday and dropping in on several open houses...it's a good way to meet a lot of different agents and you might meet someone that is professional and knowledgeable, sure would hope they ALL are.... Asking friends and relatives who they used can be a good way to find a good agent. Don't work with any professional ( including doctors, dentists, lawyers, car mechanics, plumbers...ANYONE!!) that you are not comfortable with, whose experience or knowledge is poor. Life is too short to give your business to someone who is not good at what they do!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
GCheli, I feel your pain. As an agent, I find many other agents who are so busy or have so many clients that getting them on the phone is nearly impossible. Many of the local agents and brokers are very busy, and it's difficult to work effectively with multiple clients. Some choose to focus on service over volume; but, how do you find that person?

My suggestion is to do what you are doing: Writing in looking for answers, calling different brokerages, seeking help, asking for testimonials, and praying for someone to step up. It all comes down to taking responsibility for what you want to accomplish and finding an advocate for your needs. Then, have a one-on-one meeting with the agent you feel is a good choice to determine if he/she fits your personality.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
I would suggest interviewing multiple agent to compare and pick the one who you feel would be the best fit for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
Good afternoon,
Sounds like you need a change! I enjoy helping people find their next home and I always make it a point to get back to my clients in a timely fashion.
I would like to speak to you to learn your wants and needs and send you listings that meet your specific criteria.
Please feel free to call or email me anytime and we can set a time to have coffee to see if we fit.
Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend!
Scott Helt
RE/MAX Select
314-598-8102
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
Best next action is to ask a local Real Estate Broker by clicking "Find a Pro" in the main menu at the top of this website. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
Fax your new agent of choice your pre-approval letter.
Thanks everyone for the great comments-- I am feeling a little less stressed! We never signed anything with him and nothing he showed us we are even considering so it sounds like we're in the clear. I planned on "dumping him" after we were set up with a new agent. Our bank is going to recommend us to someone and if that doesn't work out, I'll call one of the great people that commented below. We just wanted to view a particular house as soon as possible because it seems like a great deal and were afraid of missing out on it. Thanks everyone!