norwalk ct, Other/Just Looking in Darien, CT

We were about to buy a home in Darien, CT, the water tested positive for lead. Does the seller give the credit for plumbing repairs? what is the norm?

Asked by norwalk ct, Darien, CT Sun Sep 29, 2013

Answers

4
Hi Tony,

Samuel's response is correct. However, after you review the implications of lead, you might investigate what solutions are available via filtration. My buyers have, on occasions, had the seller install filters due to the "reads" on the water.

If you love the house, talk with your agent about how to proceed.

Jay Cooke
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
In addition,many problems with lead in the water can be alleviated by simply running the water for a couple of minutes before drinking it. Many homes were built with lead pipes and that is often the source of the lead.
Before running for the hills, I would advise giving the sellers a chance to resolve the problem - if they are willing. It is possible they first learned of the lead problem when you did, as most homeowners do not do regular water testing. It may be something as basic as an old lead water pipe that needs to be replaced.

'd start by asking your inspector if he noticed any suspicious things that could be contributing to the presence of lead. If it is well water, then filtration systems can alleviate. Many people with wells simply drink or cook with bottled water.
Once you know of any issues, yes, you must disclose it.
The best thing to do is find out the cause, and fix it. Sounds like in this case since it is
city water that it is a lead pipe issue. A very easy fix with a good plumber. And plumbing is a good investment.
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for your reply, house has city water. I was wondering, if after installing the lead filtration system (like under the kitched sink), is the owner still required to disclose that there is lead issues with the home? Only reason I ask is if at some point we decide to sell the home, will we scare away the new buyers ?
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013
It is NOT normal for the seller to credit for lead testing positive in the water. To understand what lead in the water means go to the EPA website http://www2.epa.gov/lead

You may also be able to download a copy of the EPA's brochure Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home, or request it from your broker, or the seller.

Sam
----------------------
Samuel Gabe
Licensed REALTOR
Halstead Property
671 Boston Post Rd
Darien CT 06820
t: 203.656.6518 | c: 203.856.8399
sgabe@halstead.com I halstead.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Thanks Sam.
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013