Home Buying in Melrose>Question Details

Kerry Donahue, Both Buyer and Seller in Malden, MA

We want to move to Melrose, but the high school is a 6/10 on GreatSchools.org. Anyone know why? Is it improving?

Asked by Kerry Donahue, Malden, MA Thu May 9, 2013

Answers

5
Lesley Smith’s answer
Hi Kerry,
My kids both went through the public elementary school system in Melrose and we were very happy with it. My son went to the middle school and we were happy with that as well. He will be going to a private high school but more so because it was a desire of his. I think the high school is going through a transitional period with several new Principals in the past couple of years. We also just got a new Superintendent of schools. I am holding out hope for a positive upswing at the high school in the next couple of years so my daughter can go there. I would also like to add that Melrose is part of the lottery system for the Mystic Valley Charter School in Malden that a lot of families go to and seem to like a lot.
Lesley
Hi

We have been happy with the Melrose public schools so far. Our son is in 7th grade. However, we are thinking of making a switch to a private high school. There are a lot of folks who pull out after 8th grade perhaps as high as 20 per cent. The perception is there is a lack of discipline at high school.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 14, 2013
My father was a teacher in the middle school for over 30 years and I can say that Melrose has always been a premium town for buyers. The combination of great schools and community life have attracted alot for decades. As far as your question goes you'd be best served to call or visit the high school directly and consult with an education professional to compare that sites valuation and compare/contrast it to state and federal rankings as only a professional educator can explain. Real estate professionals are not qualified to review educational systems. Hat may be important to one may be different for another. I've always found Melrose officials are welcoming and glad to be of assistance.

Check back with us to let us all know how you make out
Hi Kerry-

I grew up in Melrose and attended public school in the 80's and currently have friends who attend Melrose schools, without any complaints. I feel the Melrose schools system has always been good. Check out this recent Newsweek article on Melrose, Not bad!
http://melrose.patch.com/articles/melrose-high-makes-newswee…
Feel free to call or email me if I can help you find a home JayMorneault@remax.net or 781-517-0237 Thanks!
I'm a firm believer in " you get out what you put in ," Having lived in Stoneham my entire life, and raised 2 children ( put them thru public schools also ) the Melrose school system always seemed above standard to me. I hoped this help somewhat, and would be glad to help with your search! I can be reached at 781-367-1647 or geh1963@gmail.com. Good luck and thanks!