Home Buying in Las Vegas>Question Details

Retiring to…, Home Buyer in 22030

We've made our retirement decision at last! It was hard since we consider ourselves East Coast people (currently live in Northern VA), but ...

Asked by Retiring to Vegas, 22030 Tue Mar 19, 2013

... with the news that a second grandchild was soon coming and our daughter happens to live in Las Vegas, it all fell into place. Lower cost of living, no more shoveling snow or raking leaves and being able to watch the babies grow up - we couldn't believe we hadn't thought of it before. We have lots of questions but will limit those to just a couple for now:

1. When do you feel the housing market will open up for buyers? We've considered renting but know we'd probably never get used to that, so are considering purchasing a new home since nice re-sale homes below $300K seem to be disappearing as fast as they're listed.

2. How many years do you realistically feel it will take before the new housing communities in the NW, SW and far West will be "established" with the promised green space, etc? We may not last that long and don't relish living our remaining years in an "empty" neighborhood.

Thanks in advise for your answers.

Answers

9
Robert Adams Broker NV, RI, MA’s answer
Here are some important articles you should read in order to get a better feel for the market here in Vegas.

Advice for buyers in Vegas: http://lvrealestatehelp.weebly.com/1/post/2013/02/advice-for…

Things may get harder for buyers before it gets easier: http://lvrealestatehelp.weebly.com/1/post/2013/03/sb-321-pro…

If you send me info regarding the type of home you are looking for I would be happy to assist you with find a home to purchase. The easiest way to get this info to me is to fill out our "Buyer's Form on our website here: http://lvrealestatehelp.weebly.com/buying-real-estate.html

If you have specific address you are interested in you can read below to check recent crimes and school ratings in that area.

Please see the following links to check crimes that have occurred recently around addresses that you plug in.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police website covering Clark County and the City of Las Vegas, has a page where you can search crime statistics. We've included the link below.
http://69.69.103.31/crimeviewcommunity/

For areas covered by N. Las Vegas police:
http://www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/departments/police/CrimeS…

For the City of Henderson:
http://www.cityofhenderson.com/police/crime_search.php

This is the link to the Clark County School District. Again, you can enter in the address you are interested in and it will pull up the schools zoned for that specific house. There are reports and ratings on each school, this will give you a better idea of how well that each school is performing. Once you enter the address, you can click on the school name, then click on the school website and on their front page look for the "2010-2011 Accountability Report". This will give you very detailed information on each school and how they are performing.
http://ccsd.net/schools/zoning/search/

If you have any other questions about about the market here in Vegas please feel free to contact me directly.

Robert Adams
Broker/Salesman
The Adams Team at
Rothwell Gornt Companies
C:702-349-9175
O:702-932-8813
F:702-932-8826
RobertAdams@LVrealestateHELP.com
http://www.LVrealestateHELP.com
Don't know what resources you are using to determine that there are no decent houses under $200,000, but I am here on-the-ground in Las Vegas, and the right agent can still find you that dream house under $200,000.
Las Vegas has now 2 million residents, and those "empty" spaces are long gone. Why not visit, rent a car, and see what is the real Las Vegas

David Cooper ifindproperties marketing manager
http://www.lasvegaswinner.org 702.499.7037
I too have grandbabies, here in Las Vegas and love being around them. They are a wonderful hidden secret. They continue to bring joy to my life. As far as shoveling and raking leaves it sounds like you may be moving from the Midwest. I used to live in Iowa, I do miss it occasionally. One of many reasons you may enjoy living in Las Vegas is the weather, I also enjoy not having to wash my car every week.

If you already have an idea of where you'd like to live then that's part of the battle of decision making. I lived in Summerlin when I first moved here, I was there for 14 years then I moved to the SW for a couple of years. It was a nice change, I know live in Henderson. I enjoy trying out different areas of the valley. Maybe you would like to rent before purchasing a place. Whatever your choice I hope you like it here. If you need any help finding a place to purchase or rent feel free to give me a call, text or email.

As far as pricing goes. My crystal ball is packed away in the closet, I'll get it outand see what it has to say about our Las Vegas Housing Market. Prices for now are moving upward very quickly. Even though prices are going up the prices of homes are a great deal.
Enjoy
Penny OBrien
LVsweetHomes Realty
10120 S. Eastern 200
Henderson, NV 89052
702.321.9383
My wife and I have lived in Vegas since 1976 and you're going to love it. The areas you asked about are on the fast track now at being developed/completed to what was stopes back in 08. Commercial Developement will follow 2 to 3 years after the residential. Many of our retireee buyers are focusing on new homes which limit the investors who can buy. We also are direct to many banks for REOs, divorce lawyers for distress sales and bankruptcy lawyers as well so we get a lot of great deals for our buyers that the teular market never sees. Please call my wife and I any time after 8am and well chat. Thanks, Matt and Kim. 702.501.0973
I too retired here in Las Vegas from the East Coast for. We are extremely happy that we made the move.

There are many communities being built as I speak with completed parks. Each community has amazing parks...I have never seen parks like these on the East Coast. We only have about 3,200 single family homes available here in Las Vegas. They neighborhoods have filled up. No longer are there goast neighborhoods like there was three years ago.

There are some great homes here in your price range available however you realy need to be here to put your offer in to get accepted.

Your realtor needs to be very savy for sure. My listings get accepted because the buyer has seen the home and plans to live in the home. Cash offers are good in some cases and loans are always considered. Again your realtor needs to at the top of their game to get your offer accepted!
Las Vegas is a great place. I love it here. Have been a Las Vegas resident since 1971. I have seen a lot of changes over the years. My partner Dave and I are from Pittsburgh. The housing market is most likely going to take a while to normalize. We have very low inventory right now and that is causing prices to rise substantially. Foreclosures are up 334 percent so that will eventually mean more inventory. It is a market that is hard to predict. New builders are building as many new homes as they can. The demand is surely there. Some of the new home tracks that were partially built before the downturn have new construction going on to complete them. They will no be a empty neighborhoods. The communities fill up fast. I have been showing clients some very nice Pulte and Woodside homes in Summerlin Recently. Very nice communities. Dave and I love to help long distance buyers with our video services. Dave can video homes and send you the link to view potential homes. Video is a great way to walk through the home from where ever you are. We can talk more when you have a minute. I am always available to answer any questions you have.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
Fahrnyteam@yahoo.com
http://www.LasVegasRealEstators.com
If you are in need of a realtor to help you answer some of the relocation questions you may have about Las Vegas please let me know. I specialize in the west areas of Las Vegas you are discussing.

Either way, good luck in your future endeavors.

Brad Thielke
Realty One Group
702-429-0406
Most of the new neighborhoods look like "older" neighborhoods in about 2 years. Builders in homes priced at $300+ are very cognizant of people's wants, needs and desires. There are greenbelts and parks all over Summerlin and Henderson. Many are springing up all over the NW as well. Las Vegas or Henderson are nice places to live.

The housing market is tight - not impossible. You need to set a realistic price and realistic achievable goals when looking for a home in this area. You can't look for what you have back home. You also need to think what sort of community you want. The Sun City communities are popular with retirees. It is important to look at neighborhoods - not just houses. Find places where you feel you can be comfortable. Our home prices are going up quite a bit. You have to be prepared to go up over list price to get a home.
Your whole question revolves around the fact that Real Estate is a long term proposition.
Your IDEAL house is not going to drop in value in the next week or two.
Neither is it going to double in price in the next year or two.

Consider that L. V. is one of the hardest hit cities in the U.S.
You should be very happy with what is available.

If you don't have a Realtor; I can highly recommend; Helene Moore at: helenem@windermere.com

Good luck and may God bless