Home Buying in Clifton>Question Details

Amybeth, Home Buyer in Lincoln, NE

We recently purchased a Bank Owned home, and we are responsible for de-winterizing the property in order to do home inspection.

Asked by Amybeth, Lincoln, NE Sat Dec 26, 2009

We recently purchased a Bank Owned home, and we are responsible for de-winterizing the property in order to do home inspection. Unfortunately, our home inspector does not do de-winterization. Where do I look for someone to do de-winterization of a home? In the Northern VA area. And also how much should I expect to pay?

Answers

6
Kim Chamberlain’s answer
Most home inspectors or plumbers can de-winterize for around $150. Be sure your agent know if this is the policy of the bank. Remember it is still their property until you close. Sometime you can pay the bank's contractor to de-winterize the property as well. Their contact information should be posted around the house from the winterization. Be sure your are covered for any damage that might occur during the process or it is in writing that you are not responsible. The winterization is not always done propertly or early enough before the pipes have already burst. Good luck!
The individual that has dewinterized properties for me in the past charged around $50.00. I would start by looking at Handyman Services. Just make sure they have de-winterized homes in the past.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 26, 2009
Amybeth,

Ask the listing agent for the name of the contractor they used to winterize the property in the first place.

It should cost you between $200 and $300 total - $100-$150 to de-winterize the property just before the home inspection and the same to re-winterize the property immediately after the home inspection.

On a related note, your Buyer's Agent should know the answer to these types of questions so check with them in the future.

Danilo
http://LoudounScene.com
http://LoudounForeclosures.com
Amybeth - we usually call in a plumber to winterize (and de-winterize) a home. They will let you know on the phone how much they'll charge................so make a few calls..
Either you or your agent should check with the listing agent. Though the buyer is responsible for paying for the de-winterizing, they often require that their contractors do the work for safety/insurance purposes. They will likely also want it winterized again when the inspection is done.
Hope that helps
Kathy Stark
Weichert, Realtors
703-201-9656
If you used an agent check with them first. If not just call you local board of relators or you residential building association and find a member that does this type of work.

Check with http://www.hbav.com/

Home builders association of Virginia.

If you like my reply make sure you give me a thumbs up.

Have a safe weekend.