Home Buying in Southport>Question Details

Nancy, Both Buyer and Seller in 27817

We're searching for an area to "re-retire". We like Southport, NC a lot. How can I find out EVERYTHING need to know about that?

Asked by Nancy, 27817 Tue Jan 5, 2010

specific area? Property values, relative humidity, past hurricane ocurrences, churches, clubs, tourist activity, medical, dental, and so on.

Answers

9
Nancy, If you are interested in an area, the first couple of things you can do is to contact the chamber of commerce in that area, tell them you are thinking of moving there, and to send you their introductory package or a welcome package which will have alot of teh information you seek. The next thing you shoul do, is to get a buyer broker to represent you in this area. Located a trusted Realtor, tell them what you are looking for and that you would like a buyer borker to assist you. In most cases there is no cost to hire a buyer broker as they are paid a commission from the listing agent of teh house you end up buying. This way you have someone looking out for your best interest and someone who can get you the information you desire and show you the good and bad of the area. Good luck with your move.... and if yuou do not have any contacts in Southport, let me know, i can assist you with a couple of names if you need.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
I recently updated my website and it gives great information on the Southport area. Hope you find it to be helpful I "semi-retired" here 9 years ago and I am here to stay. I absolutely love the area.
What is your web site? We have visited the area three times and love it there too.

Martha Walters
Marthab.Walters@yahoo.com
Flag Sat Nov 9, 2013
Hi Nancy- Southport is a great place to "re-fire" as well as retire. I have met more friendly people here than anywhere else I have ever lived! Have thoughts of doing things you've never gotten around to doing? The stunning natural surroundings make for the perfect place to take up painting, photography as several passions to indulge- in addition there's boating, fishing, bicycling, camping just to name a few. There is everything else here- a hosptal, doctors, dentists. Plus great weather with an average temperature of 70 degrees and average of 45 inches of rain per year. And you can take a look online by googling Southport and so much information is there. I would say the most important thing about Southport are the people and the pace of life-if those are important to you, you will LOVE it here!
Hi Nancy.....
Southport is a great place to retire to...I had those same questions when I made the decision to move
here....Please contact me and I will guide you through the process....Thanks!

Diann Sauble
Broker / Realtor
910-713-9050
Hello from sunny Southport. Yes, it's sunny and about 50 degrees, which is below our average temperature for this time of year. Southport is a quaint little town which has seen a lot of growth in the past 10 years. The downtown has grown with the opening of more antique and speciality shops. Our hospital completed a 6 million dollar renovation and a great number of doctors have discovered our area and relocated their practice.
Golfer, boater, outdoor enthusiastic; it's all here. With our mild climate, outdoor activities are enjoyed 11 of the 12 months. The local community college is growing; offers all types of educational and lifestyle enrichment opportunnies and just opened an acquatic center which provides the community as well as students an excercise/swim facility to enjoy daily, weekly, whatever. I've lived here 20 years and love it. Please contact me and I will share more of the "10 reasons to live in Southport" and send you a package of information. joannewesson@seacoastrealty.com. Toll free: 1-800-346-7671
Hey there Nancy!
Our firm SPECIALIZES in working with clients who are in your exact situation! We've got an extensive packet of information regarding relocating to our area. Southport, NC is a quaint fishing town, with a beautiful setting along the coast and you can watch boats coming in to dock. 1) Property values for the city of Southport hit a peak of around 270,000 in '07 and have slid to around $200,000 currently (median price), due to the economy driving prices down, making it a great time to find homes with great values at a steal! 2) The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. 3) Tropical hurricanes come close enough to influence North Carolina weather about twice in an average year. Much less frequently, perhaps averaging once in 10 years, these storms strike a part of the State with sufficient force to do much damage to inland property. Coastal properties occasionally suffer severe damage from associated high tides. But our area of the coastline faces more South and the area above Wilmington faces more due East which seems to get hit more than our area. I hope this wasn't too long, I'd love to be able to give you more information and to help you if I can if this interests you!

You may contact me at (910) 575-0075 at the office of Carolina Plantations Real Estate or e mail at nolan.payne@gmail.com.
Hello and Happy New Year Nancy,
I live in Southport , NC and am a broker in our town. We have a great relocation package that I can send your way if you would like to share your contact information. I would be happy to give you a call and answer any other questions you may have. Congrats on retiring, I look forward to assiting you if needed. Best, Renee 910-269-1128 ryost@intracoastalrealty.com
http://www.zipskinny.com

http://www.city-data.com <-- often a 16 page report also has a q&a section. You can ask questions, often the locals will reply. For many areas you will find pages of questions already asked. Look, it is likely your questions have already been covered.

For crime stats, check the local p.d. they can give better ideas on a street level.
Hi Nancy
Retiring can be a big move some things to think about are State taxs some states have no or little income tax next is property tax some counties give breaks to elderly home owners. depending on income. check out areas for low cost of living and home prices. state and couny web sites can be a great source of info. I am from washington state a great state to retire