Home Buying in Chapel Hill>Question Details

Sgirglani, Home Buyer in North Raleigh, Raleigh...

We're moving from NJ to RTP area and we're in our mid 40s . Is governors club for older ,semi retired people only ? We saw only older ppl

Asked by Sgirglani, North Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Mon May 27, 2013

there .

Answers

8
You might check 30081 Britt, Governors Park, Chapel Hill, NC. The park has a wonderful mix of different age people. This community owns up to wonderful neighbors. Call Domicile Realty and speak to Jill Ehrenfeld (919) 260-6968 (c) phone
It appears that you already visited Governors Club and likely know about the location and amenities of the development. Being in your mid 40s you may also have children in school and if that is the case then I suggest you also check out the public schools. Although GC has a Chapel Hill address it is in Chatham County and not in the popular Chapel Hill Carrboro school district, so if schools are important to you, a good web site is http://www.ncreportcards.com.

I am also a yankee transplant and have been in NC for over 20 years, so if you want to know more about the area and differences or perhaps the adjustments you will have to make, please give me a call or email and I will be happy to assist.

Mark
919-960-6332
civiokm@hpw.com
http://www.TarHeelHomes.com
Governor's Club is a very nice Gated Golf Course Community. If you love golf, it is a great neighborhood. All ages live there some full time, some as second homes. The neighborhood has private roads and is planning a rather large one time assessment to homeowners to do a major repair.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about moving to the area and finding the right place for you.
I live in Governor's Club and have lived there full time since 1999. This is not just a golf community. We don't belong to the club and maybe half of the homeowners don't. Our neighborhood, Wilkinson Park is a very mixed age and multi-ethnic neighborhood. It is very child friendly although we have older people (like ourselves) and really a full range of ages from infants to retired. We find the neighborhood very peaceful and friendly. As for the road assessment, we have already saved up and paid that $3 million cost over the past several years. We have had to pay a small additional assessment of $300. The club hosts many highly talented people which makes the Property Owners Association more effective than any other I have experienced in the past. Contact me at ginkoferguson@mindspring.com if you have additional questions. Nancy Ferguson
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
What kind of area are you moving from and what type of neighborhood/area do you want to live in for this next move? What is important to you in terms of community, amenities, etc? Governor's Club is a gated community, common in NJ, not as common here. Most developments in the Triangle are not gated--is that something that is important to you? Think about what you enjoy doing in your leisure time and how important it is to you to be close to those activities.

Have you been here for a visit? If not, I would suggest that you come to spend time driving around to get a feel for the area. I live in Chapel Hill, am moving from a very large house to a large condo in downtown Chapel Hill. I moved here in my mid-40s with 2 young kids so we moved to Chapel Hill for the schools, and I love it here. However, if I did not have kids, I would move to Durham because there is so much going on there. Fortunately Durham and Chapel Hill are close so I get the benefit of both.

Most people who live in Governor's Club love living there and it is very beautiful. Check out the HOA dues.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the process.

Vivian Olkin, aka CrazyViv
Governors Club is in Chatham County and not Chapel Hill-Carrboro School system which is in Orange County. It has a Chapel Hill mailing address which is important only to the mailman. Values in Governor Club have been declining for some time.
Governors Club may have many older owners, but it also has many families as well. If I had to guess I'd have to say the owners in the Governors Club range from their late 30's to 80's which is a very broad demographic.

If you're interested in finding out more about this development or others in the area, check out my website (link below) I have a lot of information about a large number of communities throughout the Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary and surrounding areas.
Governors Club is not now, and never has been an age-restricted community. To get a feel for what life would be like there, ask your agent to arrange a visit at the country club. The staff there will be happy to arrange for you to meet with some current residents and even play a round of golf.
Hello;
Governors Club is not sold as a retirement community. There are no age restrictions in the community, nor are there sales only to people of certain ages. Depending upon when you were visiting Governors Club you may have seen only older people due to the fact that others were at work or otherwise occupied. It is a common misconception that the population of Governors Club is only older. I suggest that you pull the demographics for Governors Club area to see what the actual breakdown is since as a real estate broker I am not permitted to discuss this under the fair housing laws. Here is one site that might help: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Govenors-Club-Chapel-H…

I encourage you to look at homes in this beautiful neighborhood. There are some wonderful listings and a wide array of prices and choices.

Best wishes,
Jessica Bryan, Broker