Vanfamily, Home Buyer in Norwalk, CT

We're looking to buy a home in CT which has termite damage (no active termite). What precautions shoud we take?

Asked by Vanfamily, Norwalk, CT Tue Aug 28, 2012

Upon inspection of a potential new home, it was revealed that the home has termite damage (claim is there's no active termite) across sill plates and joists above the concrete under the crawl space. The main level above this termite damage area has sagged a bit, and we (including the home inspector) think it could be driven by rotten wood in foundation.
The inspector suggested that we should have a contractor come in and level up the sill plates and joists, and jack up the home a bit, but ensure that it doesn't crack up the walls/structure above.
Should go ahead with buying the home? If yes, what precautions should we take?
We would really appreciate any feedback you could provide.

Help the community by answering this question:


You should get another pest professional in to look at it and a contractor Get an estimate to see the cost to fix. If it is structural that might be a problem. It would be a good idea to have a service contract with a pest company no matter where you purchase. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer