Home Buying in West Portal>Question Details

amypang365, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

We're looking for a buyer's agent specializing in West Portal and surrounding areas, including Forest Hill

Asked by amypang365, San Francisco, CA Sat Jul 26, 2008

Extension, Pine Lake Park and the areas around Sloat Blvd. with the western boundary being Sunset Blvd. We can afford a bit over $1 million and want to buy a SFH in a stable family-friendly neighborhood. We're expecting to stay in this house at least 10 years, if not longer! Are there specific real estate firms I should be approaching for guidance and advice? A tangential question is: should we wait until both our children are enrolled in SFUSD [hopefully in the same school] before buying? I'm concerned that the lottery system could potentially put us in a situation where both kids are attending different schools in opposite ends of the city. This would push our timetable back two years, as my younger child will start kindergarten in fall 2010.

Answers

5
The answers to your questions about admissions at SFUSD are in my blog http://fogcityguide.com/
I just republished the article from my old format for you.
I was raised here and I live and work on the westside.I am a parent of two daughters that both attended Lowell. One a graduate and one a senior I am active in school issues as a Realtor and konw the market for homes in the areas. I've been through the process that you are entering and would love to work with you.
Web Reference: http://www.FogCityGuide.com
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Helpful Advice for Parents

Parents who receive their public school assignments:

A. If you are satisfied with your child's placement, follow the instructions for enrollment precisely; be sure to read the small print.

B. If you are not satisfied with your child's placement, take the time to go see the school your child got into. Talk to the principal and other parents. Search for strengths that exist now as well as looking for potential at each school you visit.

C. Call the district's Educational Placement Center to set up an appointment with a counselor and contact the parent liaison at the schools that most interest you.

D. Call Parents for Public Schools to arrange to speak with parent ambassadors at schools you would like to know more about and to learn about other good schools in the district.

Parents who are considering public schools for their children in the future, whether elementary, middle or high schools:

A. Remember that test scores aren't the whole story. Do not depend on reputation and hearsay alone. Go to a variety of schools, including those closest to where you live, and take a look for yourself.

B. Contact the Educational Placement Center or Parents for Public Schools to get more information on where to look, how to enroll and how to get involved improving San Francisco public schools.

According to Parents for Public Schools, the following elementary schools have turned around in the last six years or are in the process of doing so, with strong leadership, high parent participation or both. There are many other good schools that are not on this list. The important thing, according to the parents' group, is to go and look for yourself.

Alice Fong Yu
Alvarado
Buena Vista
Cabrillo
Fairmont
Flynn
Francis Scott Key
Grattan
Harvey Milk
Jefferson
Lafayette
Longfellow
Marshall
McKinley
Miraloma
Monroe
Moscone
San Francisco Community
Sherman
Sloat
Sunnyside
Ulloa
West Portal

Resources

SFUSD Educational Placement Center: 555 Franklin St., Rm. 100, SF; (415) 241-6085; http://www.sfusd.edu.

Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco: 9 Silliman St., Ste. 6, SF; (415) 468-7077; http://www.ppssf.org.
Try this excellent buyer's agent: Tricia Salamon 415-971-5603.

Her office is out near Sloat and she has kids herself. She gets it.
I'll answer your school question first -- in the public school system, siblings have priority in placement. So if child 1 gets into the school of your choice, child 2 will also get that school (if you elect it on the enrollment form). As far as I know, the only two schools that rule doesn't apply to are Lowell High and School of the Arts, in which a special application and qualification process apply. If you are looking at a specific elementary school that isn't an alternative school (those being schools like Rooftop or Clarendon) then you might want to be in that school's geographic district for assignment. I don't think it's a guarantee, but it is a factor in how placement happens.

In summary, don't wait for two years to buy based on school assignments! I'm a firm believer in public schools, and San Francisco has some great schools and exceptional teachers. Don't hesitate to call or email with any other questions. Good luck!

Libby Kelly-McMahon
Herth Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.libbykm.com
Since no one has answered yet, I will let you know that you can locate both a buyer's agent and a CRS agent on the CRS.com website. Fewer than 5% of Realtors nationwide have earned the prestigious CRS designation that requires education and successful production to qualify. If you need any help with this, I could assist you with a Coldwell Banker Previews agent with both an ABR and CRS designation to assist you. ginny@MyVeroBeachRealEstate.com