Home Buying in Haverhill>Question Details

y8s1975, Home Buyer in 02143

We're looking at some houses in Haverhill, but are new to the area. Are the areas to stay away from cut and dry? Are the schools any good?

Asked by y8s1975, 02143 Mon Dec 3, 2012

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3076902818-633-S-Main-St-Have…

Answers

16
Well, I will tell you that agents nor brokers can answer that question for you since it is what is called "steering"., If you are concern about crime rates on a specific town/city the best thing to do is to pay a visit to their local police station. As for schools there are plenty of websites you can check to learn more such as http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MA/schoolrank.aspx
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for the tip!
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012
Growing up in haverhill some nicer areas are east broadway, further up off of broadway (past target), ward hill, Bradford (more towards Salem St), and off of Kenoza ave past Lawrence street, and the "aves" past 11th are normally nice. Stay away from the high street area, lower aves, and cedar street.
I think the best way to get to know an area, is to spend time going out to dinner, visiting the local library, and immersing yourself in the neighborhoods, to see what areas suit your needs and wants best. Haverhill is a very historical city and has a lot of positive things to offer!
Drive around and meet people.
Ask those who live there.
Interview the school professionals, coaches, etc.
Park in a neighborhood and see who notices you sitting there in your car.
Walk and talk.

Of course choosing a local real estate pro can help you save a lot of time.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
On the top bar of Trulia is a tab titled "local information." Click on that and you'll see the ratings for the Haverhill public schools. I have been pleased with our local neighborhood elementary school in the 01835 zip. Both of our children will be attending private school next year. As a MA resident, you are eligible for school choice and can get on a waiting list for public schools in the surrounding community. I like where we live, the low property taxes and the accessibility to 495. I am a home owner in Haverhill.
Take a look at 16 Magnavista Drive. The area is wonderful. Safe and Quiet!
the acre from downtown till about 14th ave. Washinton st ,High st ,Arlinton st
I live in Haverhill in a very nice section, I do not have kids , but, I was told when I purchased the house that id we had kids, that it would not be a good idea to send them to the public scholls. Most of the kids on my street go to private school
As was mentioned already, a Real Estate agent is not allowed by law to give what is only their opinion on schools being good or not, a neighborhood being safe or not. I recommend speaking to law enforcement officials or exploring sites such as http://www.greatschools.org/massachusetts/ to do your research. The law or not, people's personal views on what is "safe" or "good" can vary widely! Stick to the statistics!
Great questions! Many buyers have the same questions when moving to the area, I would advise you to go to the city hall maybe the day you are attending open houses, there you will be able to get all the information on schools and Stats on the area.
Just looked at the house, its off 125 which is a busy main road. I think that the house is part of bradford, which is good. Haverhill is not a great area, especially for schools. look at north andover, maybe rent a house for a bit until you learn the area.
There are many areas in Haverhill, not including Bradford, that are great places to live. Haverhill is a city and as such, there are more urban areas with lower income rentals that are subject to high crime and drug activity. But to blanket ALL of Haverhill as not great, is just not true.
Flag Wed Jul 3, 2013
"You know it happens,you just never know when or where" We always say that kind of stuff doesn't happen around here. Like today with the School shootings and the other day at a Mall.We never know. Here are some stats http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr Good luck with your search and new home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Here is everything on the market in Haverhill:
http://territory.com/search?search_string=HAVERHILL&min_…

Be careful using Trulia to search properties for sale as their data is limited and often misleading. For instance, 633 s main is not actively on the market.

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Broker
617 848 5407 x701
Help@territory.com
Web Reference: http://territory.com
i like haverhill to live.
Great question. Unfortunately, real estate agents can't recommend areas to "stay away from" as there is too much liability with such an open ended question. However, we can look at home values in certain parts of the city so you as the buyer can make an informed decision about the investment you are making.
The house you were looking at on 633 Main Street has been totally gutted down to the studs. I can show that house to you at your convenience. Feel free to call/text me with a time that works for you. Best of luck with your search. There are lots of nice homes on the market right now.
Mike
Haverhill is a sought after community due to the overall affordability of homes. You will get more home for the money in town than you would in he surrounding communities.
As far as locations to stay away from the answer really depends on your needs. If you want a peaceful location with privacy downtown wouldnt be for you. If you would like to be walking distance to family oriented places some Bradford neighborhoods may be perfect for you. If you are comfortable sharing with me an idea of your dream neighborhood I would be happy to make some suggestions based on my experience in town.
Thanks so much for getting back to me! We looked at a place on Broadway, and another on Moreland. Loved both. But how is the safety in those areas? And what are the schools like? We liked the location of both, but they are certainly very different. We liked the space and ample privacy of Broadway, and the closeness to downtown of Moreland. Any more help you can give would be great!
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012