Amanda, Home Buyer in Arizona

We're considering a move to the Boston area, specifically Arlington or Lexington. We'll be visiting the area

Asked by Amanda, Arizona Thu Jul 3, 2008

next week, but if we do decide to move it won't be until January 2009. I'd like to look at some houses while we're there, just to get a feel for what's available, because quality of life is an important factor in whether or not we move. I've considered contacting some real estate agents to see if they'll talk with us and perhaps show us a few houses. However, since we certainly won't be buying right away, will we be able to find an agent who will help us out even though we're not buying now? Or should we just go to open houses? Thanks for any advice!

Answers

11
Hi Amanda,

A good agent will be willing to start advising you early and should be happy for the opportunity to start acclimating you to the area. I am in Lexington, with over 7 years of real estate experience in the town, plus 15 + living here. I have kids in the excellent school system. I have worked with some relocating buyers for 2 years in some cases. Feel free to call or email me. I also have many sales and listings in Arlington and know it well.
If you are looking at Lexington, then you should look at Winchester!

http://www.schooldigger.com for Massachusetts has Winchester twice in the Top 10 for Elementary schools.

Did you have a price range in mind and what you hope to get for the money, this should guide you in the state!

Chris
Lawton Real Estate
Is there a specific reason you should those areas?
Just an FYI in case you haven't looked online, those are two of the most expensive towns in eastern MA so your money isn't going to go very far, especially compared to what you could get for it in AZ.
Thank you to everyone for your help! We decided just to do drive-bys, to start getting a feel for the area and types of houses available. We may go to a few open houses this weekend. We'll have to see whether we decide to take these job offers, if so then we'll be back in a few months to look again!
Let me know if you dont have any luck I am currently working with a family from Oregon and Minnesota!

Chris Lawton
Lawton Real Estate
You are right, unfortunately a lot of agents won't take your calls or wont give you much attention because of your timing but that certainly shouldn't stop you from trying because there are agents out there who are willing to help and be flexible regardless :)

My advice is to start online ... use the web to identify a couple places that match what you think are the criteria (and some that don't so you get an idea of other places/areas just to compare) - this way you wont have the pressure of an agent this early in the game. Once you find some places then search for an agency and agent that has a model or business ethic that suits you, make a couple interview calls and then send the agent you choose your list. Biggest advice: don't sign any paperwork/contracts (or at least read them VERY carefully and don't sign an exclusive agreement that binds you for a certain amount of time) and work with an exclusive buyers agent. The alternative is the open house circuit, although that usually limits you to sundays which might be difficult if you are traveling in for a short period.

Is your or your husbands company working with a Relocation company?
Our Relocation Company can help you a great deal. They offer many services to make your move easier and more enjoyable.
Before you speak with anyone make a list out the important features you may want in a home. Do this before you book time with any realtor, so you can look at specific homes, if you arent moving until 2009 then maybe finding a rental for a 6 month lease or maybe if you find the perfect house, see if you can do a rent agreement with an option to buy.

Helpful Hint: Massachusetts winters are cold so think wisely on Oil or Gas heat in your choice also remember the cost of oil will be a burden to many if prices do not adjust, also if you have children tcheck out the elementary school rating s for that area! Any questions feel free to ask as this is my area!
Happy 4th - Chris Lawton
Lawton Real Estate
Greetings Amanda,
I work in these areas and would be happy to help you with your search. MA is great, so I'm sure we'll see you back here in Jan. Please call or email me with some information on the type of property that you have in mind. Depending on your schedule, we'll be able to visit some or all of them. One easy way to do this is by searching on my website (free to use) - it pulls right from our MLS, so you'll be able to virtually visity a number of homes before the plane even lands.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Mike
C: 617-610-0716
Web Reference: http://www.mphughes.com
Amanda,
Any good agent worth their salt in those areas will be HAPPY to show you some houses, regardless of when you plan to buy. You will definitely get a few from Trulia Voices contacting you. Look for someone who specializes in those specific areas. If I did, I would be more than happy to show you around, but it's not my area of expertise. Keep in mind, an agent who replies at 10:49pm EST the day before the 4th AND works in the Arlington/Lexington area will be a GREAT place to start! : )

Good luck with the (eventual) move!

Happy 4th,
Mike