Malya, Home Seller in 08863

We're a family with young children and are moving to Rochester this summer. Initially, we plan to rent an

Asked by Malya, 08863 Sat May 23, 2009

apartment in Pittsford. We have a great agent who's shown us houses in Pittsford and in Brighton. It's still very early in the search, so we haven't seen many properties. My question is: what are the pros and cons of living in Brighton vs. Pittsford? I know Pittsford has excellent schools, but how do Brighton schools compare? Which area would be easier to re-sell a property (not anticipating this, but wondering in terms of future prospects)? What are the lifestyle differences -- I'm thinking Brighton is closer to where the city action is -- nice, but don't want to be near the negatives of city life like crime, difficulty parking, etc. Thanks for any information.

Answers

8
Hi Malya,
We just moved from Vermont to Pittsford. It was difficult choosing where to live not knowing the area. We really lucked out with the house we purchased. The primary school, middle school and high school are all walking distance. I have children attending Mendon Central Elementary, and the high school.... love, love, love the schools.... Everyone of my neighbours came around to introduce themselves with cookies and flowers. We go for walks after dinner and chat with fellow dog walkers. The park is walking distance.. Our neighbourhood is friendly, safe and close to amenities, etc. I would highly recommend if you have school age children to purchase rather than rent, if you can. Uprooting the kids to go to another school could really be a pain. School districts vary even within Pittsford. There is a cute house 51 Bromley Rd, Pittsford... I love the neighbourhood the house is in. Good luck in your search..., I think you picked two terrific towns for your home search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 26, 2009
This is exactly what you need to here from residents
Flag Thu Apr 12, 2012
Both areas are wonderful yet very different living flavor that will appeal to one's taste. Pittsford people will tell you Pittsford is the best, Brighton people will tell you Brighton is the best. I would advise you to spend some time here to experience the true differences, don't rely on others on this issue.

Cathy Barton
Allison James Estates and Homes®
Selling over 2000 homes in the Greater Rochester Area

585-586-8850 My Direct Line
cbarton@rochester.rr.com
Malya,

I suggest that you drive through Pittsford and Brighton. You will definitially feel more comfortable in one verses the other because they have an entirely different flavor of living. Both schools are wonderful. Talk to the people living in each area and go to the School District's web sites. You will be renting so you will have the time to be the best judge of what is best for your family.

Much success in your home buying Experience.
There is a lot of great school in Monroe County, I would love to send you few links contact me.

Kristina Birulyte is always there for you
Hi. I moved to Pittsford 7 years ago, and faced the same questions.
Here's my take on it: First the property taxes in the town of Pittsford (not the same as the Village) are stable and actually relatively low because the tax base is expanding at Pittsford Plaza and along the canal.
Pittsford is much much closer to some great parks and natural areas, and of course the canal trail is a great draw. The Library is a spectacular community asset. Schools are great and the Family Y on Rt 96 plus the summer camp at Arrowhead makes Pittsford a better place to be in my opinion, for a family with kids.
Brighton is older, and fully developed. It's compact, and lacks green space, unless you count yourself lucky enough to enjoy the view of the lawn of one of the spectacular mansions on the north side. The best thing about Brighton is that it is walkable and close to the U of R.
Both communities are terrific, and with care you can be pretty dang happy in either location. For my part, I enjoy Pittsford more than I ever thought I would and truly, truly regret needing to move.
Mary
I'm not sure why this is still posted since May but I'm sure you've found that either Brighton or Pittsford are great choices, with very similar pros and cons. You really can't go wrong with either! Resale is great for both! Schools both rank in the top 200 in the nation! If you are still looking for a home give me a call!
Hi Malya,
You may want to ask your realtor for school report cards. That way you can compare Brighton and Pittsford. Pittsford is the larger school district with 2 high schools each with their distinct character. Brighton is a Central School District, there is one primary k-2, one elementary 3-5, one middle school 6-8, and one high school.( I explain only because when I moved here I didn't know what that was). I think it is a great idea to get a feel for both places, and renting is one way to make sure that the town you pick is the right fit. You may want to check out the libraries and park districts and see what activities are available and if they are the types of things that are of interest to your family. Brighton is filled with older homes with few areas of new construction. Pittsford on the other hand has many areas that have been recently developed. If you prefer the amenities in a newer home, there will be more of a selection in Pittsford. Brighton is large, but most think of the 12 Corners when they think of Brighton, on the other hand Pittsford has a wonderful village area and Schoen place.
You are welcome to phone me as a resource if you have any further questions.
Take Care
Roxanne
585 978 0087
roxannekuliner@gmail.com
You answered your own question in your second to last sentence. In my personal opinion it is easier to resell a property in Pittsford. Brighton is more city like and more traffic, but that does come with the negatives of city life as well. Pittsford is more suburban and holds property values very well.

Best of luck to you.