Home Buying in Wethersfield>Question Details

Chrisf, Home Buyer in Manchester, CT

We put in an offer on a home last week. We were aware that it was a multiple offer situation. They didn't accept either offer and told us to

Asked by Chrisf, Manchester, CT Wed Apr 7, 2010

come back with out last and best. We offered $5K over asking with our Hubbard clause (we have a signed contract on our place.) We waited three days and they accepted our offer on Good Friday. We were away for the weekend celebrating Easter and our son's 2nd birthday, so our agent asked the seller's agent to fax over a contract to us. The seller's agent said not to worry, waiting until Monday would not be a problem. Come Monday, we find out that the seller's agent sold the house to someone else (a third buyer) represented by another agent in his office- who magically had a client who knew just what to offer to beat us. They never called us to give us the opportunity to counter or anything. I went to see the sales manager in this real estate office and he denied that there was any unethical behavior here. To whom should I report these dirt bags?

Answers

2
Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I don't know all of the details, so I'm not in a position to pass judgment. Having said that, I'm not sure what a "sales manager" is, but every real estate company is run by a licensed broker. So your first step would be to contact the broker-of-record of that office and bring your complaint (in writing) to him or her. Keep accurate records of your phone calls and meetings.

If you don't feel satisfied with the response you receive, you may bring a formal complaint to the Connecticut Real Estate Commission, which is part of the Department of Consumer Protection. The Commission has the power to revoke a broker’s or agent's license. Their toll free phone number is: 800 842-2649.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Lisa Giller
Gillette Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 7, 2010
The answer below is correct. Did you ask your Buyer Agent to ask the Broker of their office to contact the Seller's Agent's Broker? You said you contacted the Seller's Broker. See if the Broker representing your buyer rights could speak with the other agency Broker. It would carry a bit more weight. From there, the Broker could help you with the complaint to the agency mentioned below.

These are desparate times for many and Ethics complaints have increased in comparison to past years.
Many are crossing lines.

If you are a first time home buyer, I understand your frustration since the date to qualify for the credit is April 30th and you do need to be in contract by that date.

Candace Lipira
Keller Williams Platinum Properties