Home Buying in Cherry Hill>Question Details

Giuseppe, Home Buyer in Cherry Hill, NJ

We might be relocating to Camden County from Boulder, CO and I am puzzled at seeing property taxes as high as $25,000/year. Any help?

Asked by Giuseppe, Cherry Hill, NJ Wed Dec 12, 2012

This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3015125357-2-Wilderness-Way-C…

Keri Ricci’s answer
Oh my goodness! Two of my daughters live in Colorado, one in Boulder and one in Fort Collins! Boulder is a truly magnificent place to live! If your work takes you here, I am sure that you will find that the convenience and proximity to just about everything under the sun, will make up for the changes that I am sure will take some getting used to! There are many different kinds of communities in South Jersey, from small, older communities with lovely and historic downtown to big bustling suburbs. We have great schools and services and access to everything. Yes our taxes are high but even though its painful, we all get used to it and accept it because of the quality of the schools and the convenience of the location. I'd be happy to chat about the whole process and discuss the various options with you/ Please feel free to call me anytime.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
If you would like to live in Atlantic County instead you will find better homes at more affordable prices, lower taxes, better schools, etc. Please feel free to reach out to me if this would interest you at all.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
I would reccomend purchasing a house in PA and commuting to NJ to avoid the taxes.
Reach out to me if you would like some assistance with the PA market.
There are certainly less expensive areas for taxes. Cherry Hill prides itself with tons of shopping restaurants, its services to residents and schools. You have to admit you are getting a little more of something than others. At least you like to think you are if you paying those kid of taxes.

With that said Burlington County is a little more reasonable and so is Gloucester County.. All these areas offer something the others don't. It could be the proximity to access commuting roads... Depending where you want to commute to is the big question. Burlington County and Gloucester County offer a wide variety of construction that will dazzle anyone's appeal.

How close do you want to be to major shopping areas... Nowhere in NJ is too far but areas like Cherry Hill are right there.

Taxes in NJ are high. But if it were so difficult to live here, why do so many want to move here and continue to live here? We remain a very desirable place to live.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Search foreclosures and short sale here: http://www.BuyNJShortSales.com

"Nobody Sells More Real Estate than RE/MAX"

Search the MLS on your phone by Text: In the subject line on your mobile phone- LSAR1 -to number 87778 ... hit send... A GPS feature for listings at your finger tips

Larry Sarlo When you want it Sold Fast!
RE/MAX Preferred
609-868-1171 call / text / email 7 days
The sobering fact is that New Jersey's tax climate is much less attractive than the one you are accustomed to in Colorado. This is likely to be true for you in terms of income taxes - in that Colorado has a flat 4.63% rate based on Federal income while New Jersey has a graduated tax rate - as well as most other taxes. And sales tax in New Jersey (mostly 7% but 3.5% in designated municipalities) is higher than in Colorado (2.9%).

Property taxes in New Jersey are the highest among all the states in the country (as measured by percent of home value paid for median home value in the state). Since Colorado is in the bottom expense quartile among states with respect to property taxes, I can understand your shell shock. Or put another way, property taxes in New Jersey work out to about $2,645 per capita vs. $1,722 in Colorado.

While we are on the subject of sobering tax news, Camden County has the 24th highest property taxes among the 2,922 counties in the United States. But don't be fooled by real estate agents who (like mine did when I moved here from out of state) might tell you that property taxes are lower in neighboring Burlington County - Burlington County's property taxes are the 23rd highest among the 2,922 counties.

So the tax climate is a drawback to New Jersey relative to Colorado. But, believe it or not, there are benefits to living in New Jersey too!

If I might be of help to you in making your relocation go smoothly from a real estate perspective, please feel free to contract me.

Jonathan E. Brill, Ph.D.
Realtor Associate
Beowulf Plaza, Suite 200
1814 Route 70 East
Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08003

Put my Ph.D. in Marketing and Wharton School
business education to work for you!

Main Office: 856.321.1212
Office Fax: 856.321.1414
Direct Line: 856.685.1956
Cell: 617.872.5580
e-Fax: 775.898.2651

e-Mail: DoctorJ@KW.com
Hello Giuseppe,
Thank you for your question.
Yes, taxes are high but try to see the whole picture. There are some areas with lower taxes than others. New Jersey is a great state to live in. Short drive to Philadelphia. driving distance from NYC and Washington DC, great places to go on vacation at the Shore and an hour drive to the Pocono Mountains in PA if you like to ski.
You will be welcome in NJ.
I will be happy to assist you to find the right home for you and answering any other questions you may have.
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor, ABR, CRS
RE/MAX Connection
To view all the homes in NJ visit http://www.inesdelacruz.com
If I were relocating, all I could say is "Yikes"! However, I lived in New York City at one point in my life where rentals for a shoe-box apartment far exceeded what I pay yearly in taxes. You received great answers, such as the one from Bob pointing out that Burlington County is indeed generally lower in taxes.

The home you referenced at 2 Wilderness Way is around the corner from me. We have some of the highest taxes in the township.

There are certainly cheaper places to live but I would have difficulty leaving my area. I live in Cherry Hill and we have so much shopping, restaurants and the super fast commute to Philadelphia and even New York City. Both my children went to school here and I was very pleased with their educational experience. Lots of websites are out there on the towns, I linked Cherry Hill for you to start.

Hope you find this helpful!
Yes, true, NJ taxes are high. Tax rate will vary by town and it's not always the case the the lower tax rate towns are "not as good." Shop around, preferably with a local realtor, and compare. Compare demographics too, such as crime rate, schools, community, etc. and not just taxes
New Jersey as a whole has high property taxes. I specialize in relocating clients from out of state and would like to discuss the process. Pls feel free to call or email me My cell is 856-261-6910.
Web Reference: http://Www.njrealtorjan.com
Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your question and it is not a surprising one from someone coming from your area. Seeing taxes as high as they are in Camden County can be a bit of a shock and I am sympathetic. However, residents Camden County and much of our South Jersey area enjoy wonderful, award-winning schools and a very diverse and satisfying lifestyle. Depending on the value of the home you would be looking for, I am sure you can find some great homes with taxes well under $25,000. Also, if you will be working in Camden County or even in Philadelphia, you might consider a home in neighboring Burlington County where the property taxes are generally a little less while still enjoying excellent schools, amenities and community. I have been a long time resident of Camden County and would be happy to answer any of your specific questions. Best of luck on your pending move!
Just like the listing says. "Huge, you got it."
I'm not going to sugar coat it. Taxes are high in NJ. But gas is cheap. :). I moved to NJ from NY about 10 years ago. Taxes are worse in NY. Just the honest truth for you.