Erica Ng Hov…, Home Buyer in Pleasanton, CA

We might be moving to San Diego, CA and are planning to look for single family houses in the range of <$550K. Any recommendations for good?

Asked by Erica Ng Hoversten, Pleasanton, CA Mon Jul 19, 2010

neighborhoods with these preferences:
- professional/upper-middle class neighborhood
- we don't have kids, but a good school district will be advantageous for resale
- community activities
- outdoor activities
- nice town centers atmostphere

Dear Erica,

As you can note all the agents have a favorite place in San Diego, usually where they are working :-). Take a bit of time to develop a relationship with a good agent and look at all your options!

San Diego is a huge county offering many different types of neighborhoods and communities. In general the more expensive homes tend to be in the Coastal areas while inland usually see more bang for your buck.

I work most of San Diego Coastal and when working with a relocating family I encourage them to consider commute times to work which is a very important factor in your quality of life. Schools districts are very important and tend to uphold real estate values, and location, location, and did I say location!

I would start out by interviewing a few agents since you will be relying on their advice to make an important decision. That agent should be willing to spend the time with you to educate you on all your options while learning what you like and don't like. That really is the only way to make an informed purchase and it's important not to rush into a purchase until you're sure you'll like the area.

The good news is that San Diego prices for buyers has dropped anywhere from 20 to 50% in value since the down turn. Single family home prices under $500,000 tend to be the quickest to sell and usually at or above asking price - many of these a short sales or bank owned properties (REO's).

Here is a link to all zip codes and price ranges which you might find helpful.

Below is a link to my community guide with videos, market statistics, homes for sale, and more.
Hi, Erica,

Wow all these answers are awesome! I think you should probably feel a little bit more informed an educated after checking all the links that agents sent you and reading all the answers.
I agree with Jeffrey.
The unspoken rule in terms of values in San Diego is not going too much East and South from Downtown.
So basically you want to stay West of 805 I and North of 94 I.
The closer to the cost the more expansive the area becomes and more desirable.
Yes Poway has one of the best school districts in San Diego, but if you like a little bit more action and urban feel liI would recommend Mission Valley, Mission Hills, Point Loma. Those three are amazing neighborhoods, very central and close to Downtown San Diego.
Good luck to you either way, and let me know if I can be of any assistance,
Khrystyna Chorna
Prudential California Realty
516 5th Ave,
San Diego, CA, 92101
tel: 619-808-7064
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 30, 2010
I would recommend UTC (University City) or Carmel Valley. http://www.luxuryhomesofcarmelvalley.com

MY TEAM HAS OVER 100 PRE-LISTED FORECLOSURES AND WE ARE THE LISTING AGENT! - Please Email Me If you Are Looking For A Foreclosure In San Diego. Over 30 of them are FHA/VA Approved and Fully Renovated!

Hope this helps!

Patrick A. Hale, CDPE, RSD
Short Sale & REO Listing Agent
Associate Broker

"The Best Way To Predict Your Future Is To Create It"
Toll Free: (866) 538-6057 I San Diego: (619) 309-7883
Mobile/Text: (858) 539-6803 I DRE License # 01777558
Office: 4370 La Jolla Village Drive, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92122

"Help Over 360 Distressed Home Owners Avoid Foreclosure"
If You or Someone You Know is in Financial Distress Visit: http://www.SDRealEstate360.com
Hi Erica:
I think you will love Carlsbad and Encinitas... close to beaches, lots of parks, and outdoor activities. The main question is, where do you work? Carlsbad is about a good 45 minutes drive to Downtown San Diego (maybe more depends on traffic).
Feel free to email me with questions!
Web Reference: http://www.hicarlsbad.com
Carlsbad fits all of your criteria, be sure to look there. Good luck!
Here is a GREAT place to find out info about just about all Neighborhoods in the San Diego Area.

Click here >> http://www.discoversd.com/san-diego/neighborhoods/

Once you find a neighborhood or area you like, then google that neighborhood. A lot of them have their own websites , face book pages etc..

For Example: Heres a site for South Park http://www.southparkscene.com/gallery.html
Erica, Be sure to check out Encinitas, Carlsbad, and Carmel Valley. These are all great communities in North County offering many of the things you noted in your original question. Good luck!
Thank you for all the helpful replies. It looks like the north county areas get the most votes. At least now we've some places to concentrate our searches on.

For the price point and school district you are requesting your best bet will be the communities and suburbs in San Diego North County Inland. Rancho Bernardo (92128 and 92127 - including the communities of Carmel Mountain Ranch, Sabre Springs, 4S Ranch), Poway (92064), Scripps Ranch (92131).

Coastal areas that you may find something would be Encinitas (92024) and Carlsbad (92009,92008). But for the most part, as the other agents mentioned....the closer to the coast, the higher the price.

A good idea would be to get a client gateway started sending MLS properties directly to your email to get a sense of what you get for the price. I would also recommend a visit out here to see the areas yourself, and possibly even renting first before investing.

Kind Regards,
Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
Rancho Bernardo
Hi Erica,

As Jeffrey pointed out, it's kind of funny how most of the respondents are partial to the areas they work in and in a sense, I am the same. However, the reason being is that you get so much more bang for your buck inland as opposed to coastal. To find a place that you will be proud to call home and meet all your requirements, you will most likely want to explore Poway (92064), Rancho Bernardo (92128/92127), San Marcos (92078), and certain parts of Escondido (92029). When it comes to buying a place, it is all about compromise and finding something that works for you. Another point Jeffrey made and is oh so important is determining how your commute will be. While San Diego is America's Finest City for a reason, it does have the downside of traffic. You will want to do a trial run of the commute before settling on a place. San Diego is a small city, yet so many different areas to live, so make sure you select an agent who understands your needs and is willing to show you different neighborhoods, pointing out the pros and cons. Best of luck and come join us out here!

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
I can't believe no one mentioned La Jolla. It is a beautiful coastal community with many great ammenities. The schools are great and it is one of San Diego's premier nieghborhoods! Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Thanks Ever.

Ever Eternity
Phone (530) 448-3867
Fax (619) 819-9923
E-mail eversandiego@gmail.com
Hi Erica,

North county costal is a great area, which includes Carlsbad, Cardiff, La Costa and Encinitas.
Great school disrticts and plenty of restutants, close to the beach. Lots of activites, concerts in the park, and close to shopping center. Feel free to email me or call if you have any more questions about any of these awesome areas!!
Bree Estape
Prudential Ca
Web Reference: http://www.breeestape.com

Yes, Poway is good. We actually have a property listed at 13366 Twin Circle Ct in Poway which may be falling out of ecrow soon. It's already been approved by the bank at 585K.

Call me or email me if you'd like to learn more about it.

Joe Rennnick
DRE Lic #01871454
Hi Erica,

I am not sure if you have considered the coastal communities? We have a lot to offer for things to do at night and evenings. I live in the Encinitas/La Costa area. This are has homes in the area for your price range. Especially the Carlsbad area. The schools are very good and the community is wonderful. Visit my website at http://www.encinitasproperties.net for more info. about the communities.

Good Luck in your home search, San Diego is a great place to live
Rancho Bernardo is a great place for activities and amenities. All Rancho Bernardo residents can have unlimited use of the RB Swim and Tennis Club for about $326 per year! The facilitiy includes a heated compeitition-sized pool, lighted tennis courts, a complete fitness center, a children's playground and more. Rancho Bernardo was the first master-planned community in California. We have shopping areas, churches of all types and a complete array of housing choices and 4 golf courses, both public and private. Are you by chance over 55? If so, you may be interested in the excellent 55+ communities in Rancho Bernardo. Although you don't have children, you can appreciate that RB is in the acclaimed Poway School district, which really does help with resale and property values. The zip code for Rancho Bernardo is 92128. Let me know a little bit more about your housing needs and I will be happy to send you some listings to whet your appetite.
Web Reference: http://rbhometeam.com
Hi Erica,

Poway is a great area for what you are looking for. A lot of professionals live in the area and it has beautiful upper-middle class neighborhoods. Poway has one of the best school districts in the state which is great for resale, as you mentioned. It is a very close-knit community and has a ton of great outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.). Zip code is 92064, and there are some great nearby neighborhoods in 92127, 92128, 92129, and 92131.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better place to live than "The City in the Country". Let me know if I can help in any way.

Best of luck,

Brian Adkins, Esq.
Engelby Real Estate
(858) 345-7135
Hey Erica,

There are several good communities for what it is that you are looking for. As Stephanie Nisan mentioned 4S Ranch wich is in Rancho Bernardo in North County San Diego is a newer community with a great school district.

Eastlake (Zip 91915,91914, and part of 91913) is another great newer community and the one that I live in. Here are some good things about the community:
-It has won the best community in San Diego 10 times.
-It has award winning schools
-There are close to 15 parks in the community.
-There are about 17 diferent club houses, so no matter where you live you will have access to at least 1 of them.
-Also there is a High tech High school, and there are only 2 in San Diego
-There is the recent 125 freeway built.
-Newly built Mall and about 6 shopping centers
-and more

We have a home listed here and could help you find others,

Check out the virtual tour: http://www.propertypanorama.com/105947

Hope you found the information usefull
Hi Erica! I highly recommend that you consider homes in the highly acclaimed Poway Unified School District. Considering your desire for a single family home and your price range, I recommend Camel Mountain Ranch, 4S Ranch, Westwood (in Ransho Bernardo), or Poway. Feel free to contact me when you are ready to start seeing homes that might work. I would love to help.
Web Reference: http://powayusd.com
I am a big fan of Sorrento Valley. Areas like Solana Beach and La Jolla, even Del Mar are great neighborhoods but $550,000 won't get you much more then a nice condo. Sorrento Valley has some great neighborhoods, great shopping centers, centrally located to all areas of San Diego (downtown, beaches, lakes). The shcool district in Sorrento valley is one of the best in SD. I would love to show you some examples. I can also help you out with financing should you need a starting place. Most agents have such a huge disconnect on what it takes to qualify for a loan. With loans being so critical in today's market it is good to know how the laon can and will affect your home search. Look forward to hearing from you!

Jesse G. Salas
Buyers Agent/DRE# 01877872
Conventional Property Inc
5425 Oberlin Dr Suite 100
San Diego CA 92121

Cell: 619.980.0883
Direct: 858.558.2009 ext 101
Hello Erica. I'm Michele Ashbarry with Realty Partners. I'm a native San Diegan, and have been selling real estate in San Diego for the past 20 years. If you're looking for nice, upper-middle class neighborhoods with great resale opportunities, etc., let me introduce you to Poway, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain Ranch, and Sabre Springs. There is plenty for you to do in each community; the town centers are lovely, they are all freeway accessible, and the school districts are top-notch (even though you don't have children). I will be most happy to send you community information, listings, and any other information that you would like. I am a Certified Relocation Specialist, so I will be able to make your move to San Diego as stress-free as possible. I'm looking forward to working with you!

Michele Ashbarry
Realty Partners
(760) 440-9812
First visit this site to see the average and median prices for all areas of San Diego County...
Then you can go to this site to review neighborhoods for schools, crime, demographics, prices, vacancy rates etc....
Just enter the zip code and you can compare two at a time.
I would also suggest using http://www.earth.google.com to get more information about the area. Proximity to highways, parks etc. Let me know if you need more information. More help is available at the link below.
Hi Erica,

Congratulations for deciding to move to San Diego. There are so many amazing neighborhoods here that there is certainly something for everyone, and with your price range I think you will be able to find a home that you really love.

I'd be happy to help you and discuss neighborhoods/schools/communities/prices/etc with you. Give me a call (858-692-2360) or send me an email (david@nuvilla.com) and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the Best,

David C Diboll
Nuvilla Real Estate
DRE# 01861343
1080 Park Blvd Ste 401
San Diego, CA 92101
ph- 858-692-2360
Web Reference: http://www.nuvilla.com
Hi Erica!

There are several areas in San Diego that would meet your search criteria. If you are looking for newer homes, the areas of 4S Ranch(NE San Diego) and Eastlake(South) would be great for you.

If you would like me to send you some properties to look at, email me at: nisanrealestate@gmail.com

Hope you're having a great day!

Stephanie Nisan
DRE # 01873309
The Property Shop Team
Prudential CA Realty
There are several areas in San Diego that you might like. Along the coast: Coronado, Little Italy, Del Mar, La Jolla, Solano Beach..... Inland: Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps....

For town center atmosphere, I like La Jolla, Downtown, Coronado, Solano, and Carlsbad.

Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Joan Wilson (Realtor, SRES, Ecobroker)

California Cool 4 Sale
Prudential California Realty
Direct Phone: 760-757-3468
Fax: 760-946-7894
License # 01341483

Find your Dream Home: