Home Buying in Pleasant Hill>Question Details

Beesto, Home Buyer in Pleasant Hill, CA

We loved our real estate agent but now we're looking at houses that are out of the area she usually works in.

Asked by Beesto, Pleasant Hill, CA Tue Dec 6, 2011

Can our previous agent still get some commission if we work with another agent from her company but from the n new area we are now looking in? Or is it better to just start fresh with someone else and leave our old agent out of it.

Answers

14
Vickie Nagy’s answer
Hello Beesto,

It is common courtesy for an agent to pay a referral fee for an introduction. Ask your agent if he/she has someone in the new area that they refer to. It's common for agents to know other agents that operate a similar real estate practice, or have similar training and designations.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy
It's a good idea to get your agent's opinion on who she would recommend in the new area you are looking. She can work with an agent there to oversee the transaction and they can work together to help you in your search. She can get a referral fee from that agent too and still benefit by your new purchase, but more importantly she will have some input to the agent and find someone she feels will work well with you.
Beesto,

Whenever we have clients who are buying out of our area we always research agents/brokers in the area and interview several till we find a good one, then pass along the info to our client in exchange for a referral fee from the new broker. This is standard operating procedure and since you are pleased with her efforts so far this would be the best way to handle it in my view.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Have your agent interview the ones in the area and talk It over with them to see if they are a good fit for you. Then it's simple referral fee form they can agree on so that your old agent can get a referral fee.. Good luck!
Beesto, If your previous agent did a good job for you then she absolutely ought to receive benefit for providing you a good experience. You can approach this two ways. You can ask her to help you find and interview an agent in the area you plan to look. I will often times tell my clients that are relocating or maybe buying investment property in an area out of my service range that I will search for a top agent in the area. I will call and interview the agent since I know the questions to ask and know what to look our for. I'll find one or two top candidates and then put my client in touch with those agents. The second option is to find an agent on your own and ask that agent if he/she is willing to give your previous agent a referral fee. If you do it this way please make sure you tell the prospective new agent right away that this is your wish and plan. Personally I would opt for option one. Good Luck.

Are now from PH or are you planning to look for homes in PH? If the latter then I'd certainly be willing to discuss working with you and giving your previous agent a referral fee.
I'll chime in here from New Jersey - your agent who clearly knows you well and whom you trust will be a wonderful advocate in assisting you with the search for her "mini-me" in your new location. I'd allow her to do that for you and the "thank you" for arranging the intro will be a referral fee from the new agent that assists you.

Referral fees are the way we agents thank one another for introducing us to clients we would not have met otherwise.

You so good to remember the fine service of your real estate agent - she will be so grateful.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
Thank you for being so thoughtful....yes, you can keep your agent in the loop by allowing her to refer you to an agent/agency in your newly selected location.

Good agents often will show willingness to follow your interests even when they take them out of their comfort zone. Being able to communicate your needs and committment to them is important. Let them provide you with a direction that they are comfortable with...they you be the judge.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
Yes, you can ask your realtor to refer you to someone in your new area and receive a referral fee.
You are very considerate to ask the question and to be motivated to compensate your realtor.
Best of luck to you.
Regards, Suzanne Looker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
All I can contribute is a double thumbs up to these very astute answers. They are all spot on Bottom line? You have to let your conscious be your guide. If you really feel that your agent helped you then you need to cut them into the deal the best way you deem possible.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 6, 2011
They can send a referral agreement to any prospective agent who specializes in that area.
We often help our buyers to buy in different areas of the country or even out of country.
We research agents working in the prospective area, interview them for the job of working for our clients, and verify their performance or marketing (for sellers). We get a referral fee for this work.
We do want our clients to have the best possible experience wherever they are buying!

Best of luck in your search,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
You are very thoughtful to be concerned about your previous agent. She would happily do a little research to help you find a good qualified agent in the new regions where you're now searching.

And the new agent would happily pay her a referral fee for that introduction.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
You can take a referral from her to an agent with her company who handles and knows Pleasant Hill. Or you can find an agent you like and ask that agent to give her some commission back. I specialize in Pleasant Hill; my husband Don and I have been the #1 agent here for 14 years; we would be happy to give her some money to thank her for the time she spent with you. It is important to use an agent who specializes in and knows the area you want to buy in.
YOu definitely need to have your agent find you an agent like herself with great customer service. In return she will get a percentage of the commission for a referral. Since she has put time and effort in you already it's the best thing to do.
Many people forget that Realtors work very hard and are only paid if we close a deal.
Web Reference: http://www.laura4homes.com