Home Buying in Syracuse>Question Details

Skip, Home Buyer in North Syracuse, NY

We live in a Ranch w/ a basement laundry. My wife can't go downstairs to do the laundry anymore. Should we remodel or buy one with a 1st fl.?

Asked by Skip, North Syracuse, NY Sat Sep 10, 2011

laundry?

Answers

12
Skip, I've got to ask are you also unable to go downstairs anymore? You know if you are also unable to do the laundry you might consider a laundromat if you have a car, for one thing you can do multiple loads and be done in no time at all! Or drop it off and have someone else do your wash. As other have said perhaps this is a good time to think about the future and that may involve downsizing rather than just moving
Hi Skip,

I just went through this with my parents. Unfortunately, they did not have a ranch home so, we could not accomodate a 1st floor laundry. I would take one of the bedrooms (the smallest) and convert to a 1st floor laundry. If you love your home and would feel more comfortable staying there. It is very stressful to pack up everything and move after so many years. When you later decide to sell, the buyer can always convert it back as long as you don't do tile the floor or make changes that would make it difficult for a buyer to remove. Good Luck!!! Debra Lawrence, RealtyUSA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
Good Morning,
Remodeling is the choice of many. My parents became unable to move up and down the stairs to do their laundry so my son and husband rebuilt one of the guest rooms and made it into a "rec" room. My mother an father started building puzzles and making them into wall hangings so we built deep shelves in one corner for them to put the puzzles while the "cured". We opened up the closet and put in water and gas so they could have their washer and dryer upstairs and put up a clothes rod for Mom to hang things as she pulled them out of the dryer. My mother loved to sew which prompted me to suggest that my husband build a larger table at waist height so Mom could use it as a cutting table or to work on the puzzles. I hope that this is helpful to you in your situation.
One other option is to check into the chair lift that can be installed on a staircase. I feel that this is a good idea but not as efficient as making a small guest room into a "rec" room! You can always leave a day bed or a futon in the room for guests!
Hello Skip!
Have you heard that people stack their washers and dryers? It's very easy to get the appliances into a very small space. The plumbing is not a big feat. Upgrading the electric is easily done, too. You can have the plumbing removed, too, when you sell - if it becomes an issue.

If the issue is the stairs, and that has you worried about her safety, you can even install a lift.

It comes down to how badly you want to stay in your current home. If you have that urge to move, I'm sure you can find what you want or have a custom builder build it for you. If you're an empty nester, you might think about downsizing.

You want to contact a general contractor if you want to remodel. You want to speak with several real estate agents if you're considering a move.

Best to you both!

SuZ
PML
of Longmont, CO
720 810 0683
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
So, Skip, how much are we talking about here? $35,000 for a remodel? 10-12% transaction costs to buy and sell?

Skip, I think that you should start doing the laundry!

And if you really can't stand to do that, you can hire help for a lot less than the cost of trading spaces.

But that's just the laundry. If accessibility is truly an issue, then I suggest that you consult with an architect experienced at redesigning accessible spaces. Once you price out the cost of a remodel, you can then decide whether moving or remodeling is the best option to you. But without knowing the cost of a remodel, then it's tough to make the right decision.

Hi Skip, if plumbing and space will accomodate, relocating that laundry may be your best and quickest solution.
There are stackables that don't require much space - little more than a closet.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I agree this decision is yours. If you love your home and neighborhood, then it is best to go get several detailed written estimates. Should you really wish to move meet with an agent to discuss both the selling and buying process that best works for you both. Feel free to call me with any questions.
Janis Orshal
RealtyUSA.com - North Syracuse
(315) 447-2462

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
You must decide whether to buy or remodel, if you love your home and you have the room to make a 1st floor laundry without loosing any living space it will increase the future resale value of your home. If you should decide to invest in a new home I would find it a priviledge to help in anyway.
Good Luck
Mary Ann Barndollar
Realty USA
N. Syracuse, NY
315-697-6061
Call me for a referral to a licensed, insured contractor. With an estimate in hand to move the laundry upstairs, we can look at alternative housing if that makes sense!! (315)591-8517

Joseph Pauldine
Buyer's Agent

EXIT EZ Realty
7894 Oswego Rd
Liverpool, NY 13090
(315)591-8517 Cell
It sounds like this house isn't suitable for the long term; particularly as a retirement home.

It reaches a point where it just isn't your Dream Home anymore;
You find yourself picking at things, and things that didn't use to bother you, now do.

If you can afford it, you should start looking:
The question is; is North Syracuse still your Dream City, and go from there.

Good luck and may God bless
To simply remodel, or buy another altogether, is a decision only you can make, based on your finances, wants, needs, etc...