Home Buying in Carmel>Question Details

Saleem,  in Indianapolis, IN

We live in Brownsburg and want to move to Carmel. We can go close to $400000 homes. Seems there are plenty

Asked by Saleem, Indianapolis, IN Thu Feb 7, 2008

of houses available but how we will be able to sell our Brownsburg house? Catch 22.

SSS

Answers

10
Several options available, one of the easiest ways would be to advertise your Brownsburg home as a rental(hold on as an investment while the housing market is down), then sell it in a few years after moving. I have done this many times with other buyers.

You could also advertise as a lease option on your home.

The best thing to always do is sell your home you have first(if you do decide you want to sell), and then buy after selling. If you don't, here is what will happen if you want to make an offer on a home before your current home is sold:

1)You find the home of your dreams. You want to make an offer. You still haven't sold your home you live in. To encourage the sellers to accept your offer(which would be contingent on your current home sale), you would need to offer a premium over what you would offer if you didn't have to put that contingency in your offer.
2)So now you have your offer and you have paid a premium for that home. You now need to sell your current home, and you need to sell it quick!! To sell something quick, what do you have to do? You have to lower price! So now, you are lowering the price of the home you have to sell it quickly so you can move into the home you have locked in. You could easily loose 10,000-20,000 going about it this way.

Best advice is to sell home first, or find new home and rent current home. My property management company, on average, leases homes within 24-32 days after marketing is started. We could also list your home for sale and go with which thing happens first, either sale, or rental. Either way, you win.

Contact me if you have any interest in my "out of the box" ideas.

http://MyIndianapolisHome.com
Web Reference: http://buyindynow.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 12, 2008
SSS,
It is really hard to know where to start sometimes. How do you eat an Elephant...one bite at a time...So to get to were you want you just start with the first bite.

It is important for you to know the bottom dollar on your current home that you can NET. What are the dollars you will walk away from closing with in your checking account that will allow you to purchase the home you want in Carmel. Once you know that figure...do you want to proceed?

If yes, then go talk with your lender and make sure you will be qualified to purchase in Carmel using your net figures, your current credit score and the current mortgage rates. Getting a mortgage today is probably different now than when you purchased in Brownsburg..so don't put up a SOLD until you know that you are pre-approved to purchase that house in Carmel.

Now, getting to your question of HOW WILL WE BE ABLE TO SELL OUR BROWNSBURG HOUSE? Most likely you have some work to do in preparing your property for the market. In this current market a listing coming onto the market must be in Pristine Conditions with NO Deferred Maintainance and Priced Below Market to move in a timely manner. So there is a lot of Hard Work, TIME and Focus needed to get your property market ready. Can't just put a sign in the yard anymore and wait for the buyers to come and buy. That is one of the reason Staging has become a listing tool in todays market. Staging is not decorating..it is de-personalizing your house so that the buyer imagine their lives in the home, plus staging always shows the space available for their use and the space is what the buyers are buying. (Please note that I am an Accredited Staging Professional.)

Interview at least 3 real estate agents that can help you through this process of pricing, staging and finding the least expensive ways to do what needs to be done to get your house market ready, yes call in the agents prior to doing all of the work..they should be able to give you advise and help you through this process. Go ahead and sign a listing contract with a future date for the house to go onto the market.

Remember: "They way we live in our home is not the way we market our property"

Having your house on the market can be stressful, however having your dream home within reach makes the work easier. Steven Covey says " Begin with the End in Mind"
So now that all of the hard work is completed and your property in Brownsburg is on the market, begin to looking at properties in Carmel so when an acceptable offer comes your way you are ready to make a bid on your new home. It is good to have at least three properties in mind at all times that you would consider buying.

Hope this helps and that I will be one of the agents you interiew. If you noticed all of the hard work is done up front...but it will make the rest easier...Inspection..easier, Packing to move, easier, Loan application easier, getting a SOLD easier.

Below is a link of a property I currently have listed in Brownsburg...
There are 80 active listings of homes available for showing at your next convenience between 350K-425K. If you would like to preview any of these, just let me know: lmcintyre@c21scheetz.com
Strange that one of the agents below encourages selling your home first. Yes, that would be ideal but Lord help you if you sell your home and then don't find another within a reasonable timeframe. Then you end up moving into a rental and then again into the new home. It's a nightmare. We've bought five homes in 15 years and have never sold our current residence before purchasing the next house. The key? Simply ensuring that your current home is marketable and priced right.
Brownsburg is still a good area and lots of homes are still selling there. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is make sure your home looks like a model home when it is being shown. We are seeing great looking and well staged homes sell and the messy smelly homes with pet hair and uncleaned kitchens and bathrooms sit on the market for a very long time. Make your home the shinny nickel that a buyer will remember. We offer guaranteed sales as well as several other great agents in the area. If you would like to see our guarantee program you can contact me at davidallen@remax.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Guarantee Buys are the way to go if you are in a tough selling market. Brownsburg right now has about 30% higher inventory than usual. You need an agressive marketing plan and a good buyout figure for the home just in case. I will provide you with a Buyout sale price withing 24 hours of touring your home. I can also assist you in purchasing your home here in Carmel. Our office list and sells more homes in Carmel than any other office. My office number is 317-814-5273
Web Reference: http://Century21Scheetz.com
Brownsburg is hot right now, so with the right aggressive agent, you should have no problem selling your home! You need someone who is seasoned, is a technology wizzard, and I'd recommend that you use an agent that will simply buy your house if it doesn't sell -- then you are guaranteed!!

And, if an agent is as good as he/she says they are, then a selling guarantee should be no problem to provide. Feel free to read about ERA's Seller's Security Plan, so you can be sure your home sells in 180, guaranteed!! Here are details of my program... http://www.indyhomes.com/news-2008-jan-08-sellerssecurityplan.html

$400K will go very far in Carmel, so you won't have a problem finding a great fit for your needs & wants! My best, Kristie Smith, REALTOR.
Web Reference: http://www.IndyHomes.com
Carmel has been my home for nearly 20 years. We love the library, schools, MONON center and trail, and its proximity to Meridian major interstate highways. It's a good idea to work with an agent who knows the area. There are advantages to each community between 350k-450. I'd be happy to set up a custom neighborhood tour for you, if you are interested. It's always fun and informative to experience them in realtime with an 'insider' - computers can be limiting. So, that said, it's not too early to start looking.

Now, for the next component - preparing your home for market in a buyers market... you'll be wearing a different hat for this one. Interview agents who keep up with internet marketing and are plugged into buyers through a strong relocation program. Consider the benefits of a web site specific to your property and participation in RSS feeds. (See referenced link.). Call me and we'll cover it all!

In a nutshell, market your Brownsburg home and sell it first, as you visit neighborhoods and frame what you will want in Carmel. When we have a signed purchase agreement for your Brownsburg home, then we hit the ground running - with targeted properties and communities in hand.
Web Reference: http://5796BerryGlenCt.com
Thank you for your request.. I would love the opportunity to provide a thorough analysis of your area for free. I will help you professionally stage your home to ensure it is ready for the market. Two major things help your home sell quickly -- pricing correctly and home staging.
Web Reference: http://www.lydiastauder.com