Home Buying in Alexandria>Question Details

Al-pal, Home Buyer in Alexandria, VA

We just moved to Alexandria, VA and starting to look to buy a home. Our price range is limited $200,000-$300,000.

Asked by Al-pal, Alexandria, VA Wed Oct 28, 2009

We're looking for neighborhoods that are within 45 min or closer to Washington DC (my husbands job is located in DC.), good schools and up coming areas that property values will increase within 5 years.

Answers

5
Hello Al-Pal!

First off. If good schools and educational systems are important to you the 1st thing you need to do is research schools and narrow down your choices for neighborhoods based upon your findings. You can use
http://www.greatschools.net/ to do this research. You can enter ALEXANDRIA and it will show you the schools. If your husband will be riding metro you can go into Springfield. If he can drive or ride the VRE train you can go into Lorton and points west, even Burke. But properties prices really vary around here and your rice range is on the low end for DC metro area. However, there are some super buys out there right now and it's a good market to take advantage of them. The other respondent who wrote "wait a year" is not in agreement with the majority of the public right now, since it's likely interest rates will be higher. Prices in Alexandria are UP, not down, and are not declining. Perhaps further out they are and also in Arlington they are because of over supply, over price. At least that is what I am seeing.

Connect with a good Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) who can work for you to help you find homes in your price range in areas that work. Several agents on Trulia are ABR's (inc. myself) and you can also search for them on the main web site REBAC.COM

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Delaine Campbell, Realtor
Long and Foster Realtors
400 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
delaine@lnf.com
Web Reference: http://www.atwork4you.com
Wait another year to buy, prices are still declining. Good Luck
Dear Al-pal,
Wecome to Alexandria! I would be delighted to assist you in your home search and also provide you with plenty of information regarding our community! Are you looking in Alexandria City County or are you looking in Fairfax County (Alexandria postal city?). Are your children in elementary schoool? Have you narrowed down any specific schools that you would like to target? That would help to refine your criteria a bit. If you give me a little more information I would be happy to send you an initial list of things that might work for you and go from there. Are you currently renting in Alexandria? Do you have a lease or a time frame preference? Please feel free to contact me at 703-201-3318 or email me at nicky@cbmove.com. Also, my website is up to the minute MLS so feel free to start your search there and don't hesitate to call with any questions!
Nicky McDonnell
Web Reference: http://www.nickyshomes.com
Al-pal,

You have given a fairly wide open criteria for your home search; I did a quick and dirty search of the MLS and did a search within 10 miles as a crow flies from the 14th Street bridge into DC and found 148 fee simple properties available (townhome, duplex, & single family) and 84 single family homes. (I didn't even bother with condominiums since that would have greatly increased the search results.) This radius would keep you inside the Capital Beltway for the most part and stay within the 45 minute commute into DC.

Let's take a step back for a minute... as far as your husband working in DC, will he be near a Metrorail station, Union Station, or Capitol Hill? If so, you may want to consider properties that are further out, but are close to a Virginia Rail Express (VRE) station that goes into DC. My brother in-law lived in Stafford and rode the VRE into Union Station for years and found it to be one of the best commutes he ever had.

Are there other criteria in the home you're looking for? The number of bedrooms, baths, Square Footage, garage, lot size, etc would also help pare down the list of potential homes. It would make the most sense to try and flesh out these items and then try to further filter results by schools, etc.

If you are moving in from a lower cost area of the country, I'm originally from Detroit, you may be surprised at what you get in the area for the money. Many people first have to deal with the sticker shock and then can get on to a product home search. Feel free to provide more info or ask specific questions that you might have,

AJ Heidmann ~ CRS, ABR, e-PRO
cell 703-474-1260 office 703-518-8300
aheidmann@cbmove.com
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Licensed in Virginia
do u want to live in virginia or maryland.
DC homes will be hard to find in ur price range.
U will have so many qs. that need to be answered.
U should sit down with a good buyer agent.
If u would like u can attend my no obligation "Get to Know you session".
I will provide u some links to c some of the school rankings.
Go over the entire area and possibilities for u.
rgds,
Ramesh Chandra
703 635 8209
mepci group@gmail.com