Home Buying in 01603>Question Details

Dan, Home Buyer in Worcester, MA

We just bought a home in Worcester, and before we closed, someone (maybe our agent), mentioned that we could do 'something' to get

Asked by Dan, Worcester, MA Wed Oct 7, 2009

our yearly taxes to take into consideration the sale price rather than the appraisal that was done a year ago. Was I hearing things wrong, or is this possible? Our purchase price was 60K under the appraisal value from January. Can we get our property taxes reduced somehow? Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Dan,

Your taxes are not calculated by an appraisal. Taxes are calculated by a mil rate/or some such formula ... the city determines its total yearly budget and then considers the total cities residential, commercial and industrial square footage. This square footage number is divided out and hence your tax rate determined. However, You definitely should take the time to complete an abatement form. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us anytime.

Would you mind if I include your question in my weekly Real Estate Column in the Gardner NEWS?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 7, 2009
You can go to the city hall and do what's called a tax abatement at the Tax Collector's office. You have to put in an application to do this and be able to show that the house is worth less than what the current assessment is on the property if the town assessment hasn't been done in a few years. Good luck!

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 7, 2009
You would be asking the town for an abatement of your tax assesment and therefore your tax bill. You should have a local real estate professional do an accurate market analysis to see if it's truly 60K different before you go to the town. Can't hurt to try and ask, the worst they can say is no, well the worst would be they could find your home MORE valuable and raise your taxes. Have a chat with your friendly local real estate professional and get an idea of what your place might be worth and then if it benefits you, head to town hall and see about a tax abatement.

Good luck, check back and let me know how you make out, hope this helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 7, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer