Home Buying in Watchung>Question Details

Qxzrh80, Home Buyer in Melrose, MA

We have saw a house which we like. However, there is drainage easement and utility easement along property line, what is the potential problems?

Asked by Qxzrh80, Melrose, MA Wed Jun 18, 2014

The property is ladder-type shape with about 225' x 125' x 180' x 102' in size. The house has one 10'-wide utility easement along one border line (102' long) in the property. There is another 20'-wide drainage easement through back yard along another border line (125' long) and this drainage easement is possibly half underground and half above ground (a trench but not deep) based on my memory. This drainage easement leaves a right angled triangle at one corner (125' x 19' for two legs). This triangle area is probably hard to use due to the separation by drainage easement. Another 10'-wide drainage easement along border line (180' one) is in neighbor's property and probably underground.
The owner thinks good location (cul de sac) and asks quite higher than similar homes nearby. After one round of negotiation, still a big difference (~20000$). But so many easement around it as factors of devaluing and I don't want to pay higher. Because buyers will be same as us when we resale it.

Answers

2
That sounds like more than just your standard utility easements, which are usually not a problem. I suggest having a qualified real estate attorney review the survey and easements to determine any current or any future issues that may arise. As far as the price, have your agent do some comps for other similar properties sold. Whether you agree to pay more for the house is solely up to you as the buyer. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Denise! My agent did some comps. Similar homes on a little busier roads or dead-end streets asked only 340K to 360K, and sold in normal period. Their asking price is quite reasonable. This one is still on market after 2.5 months. There must be something wrong. Otherwise it would go fast. The negotiation goes slow and hard to know if it will go to the point. So far I know, I am the only one with offer. The home inside is clean, though it is old style. We plan to remodel it if we buy. But the easement really bothers me a lot at this point. So I would like to buy it if the price is reasonable and compensates the easements. Since homes on the market now or in the future will always have something people don't like. But I also heard that there is always good home coming out soon.
Flag Wed Jun 18, 2014
Is there potential problems in the future from those easements, especially drainage easement?
what can I do on the easement except lawn? can I put evergreen fence on the easement between property lines?
This house is on market for 2.5 month already and is in good school district. buyers might walk away due to some reasons, and those easements might be one of them. When resale it in the future, we might also face same problem. Buyers are hesitate to buy it. And we probably need to lower the asking price.
As far as what you can put on the easement is solely up to your local zoning office. They may allow a fence, however, if they ever need to make repairs, etc. they would have to remove whatever sits on the easement at that time. Again, that would be up to you as the home owner to obtain the information from the city before placing anything on the easement.
Flag Wed Jun 18, 2014