Home Buying in Columbus>Question Details

Apn0107, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

We have decided a community where we we want to build our house. There are 2 lots available.

Asked by Apn0107, Columbus, OH Wed May 1, 2013

We are still deciding which lot to buy. Here are few things:
1. First lot: Across from this lot is parking lot for clubhouse and then clubhouse.
Traffic is not a issue as this is only used by residents and hardly any cars in parking lot. Will having parking lot across street instead of house have effect on reselling.

2. Other lot has house opposite to it.

We are getting good deal on first lot which will give us room to have some upgrades. Please suggest which is better option?

Answers

6
You should be asking your Realtor. If you don't have one you should get one. You will have many more questions that come up during the building process that the salesperson isn't able to answer. FYI, there is a reason builders give lot discounrts. It's usually because nobody else wants that lot. And of course it will affect resale, who wants to live across the street from a parking lot?

Jim Deskins
Broker-Owner
Actually we checked and same discount is given on other lot as well so that's not an issue, besides parking lot is private for residents and not public.
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
Hello!!! Which community are you looking at? I sold new homes for 10 years before getting my real estate licenses. If the builder is offer a discount on one of the lots it typically means that it isn't as desirable. You have to keep in mind the resale value of this home. A buyers agent is a free service to you. I would highly recommend that you contact an agent so that you have some whomislooking out for your best interest. Good luck and let me know how I can help! I have recommendations and a resume on my profile.
Trust your gut instinct. Otherwise, flip a coin.
Thanks. Actually other lot is also same cost so no discount we confirmed.
Should we still go for any location? Or will it matter in long run.
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
I don't think that there is a definitive answer to your question. The location of the lot that you end up choosing will influence a future buyer in the same manner that it is influencing you. Many people like being close to the clubhouse/pool/playground/walking trail that their community may offer.Maybe because they have small children, have limited mobility or don't want neighbors on all sides. They are willing to accept the potential additional noise of slamming doors or constant activity associated with that location, especially during a busy season. Other people may like being surrounded by neighbors, even if it means they have to walk further to get to the clubhouse. I would focus, instead, on your house. If you had to sell your new home quickly, in the future...would the house that you build be attractive to other buyers. If it is too personalized or quirky, you will have a harder time selling it, no matter which lot it sits on. I would recommend that you buy the lot that suits YOUR needs: do you like being that close to the clubhouse? If so, then the "good deal" that you are getting on it is an added bonus! Good luck and if there is anything that I can do to assist you, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Heather Dunn, Realtor
Keller Williams Consultants Realty
614-560-9106
heatherdunn@kw.com
https://heatherdunn.yourkwagent.com
Thank you.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Do you have a Buyers Agent? He or she should be able to give you a definitive answer on this. My initial thought is that the answer will be case-specific. What community is it in? Is there a difference in the size of the lots? What is to the rear of each home? And, most importantly, what is the price difference between the lots (to evaluate the potential upgrades and their resale value)?

I'd be happy to discuss this with you further. Please give me a call or send me an email. My contact info is in my Trulia profile.
We don't have buyer's agent. Rear of the house has fence and then other community. Lot size is almost same.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Hi!

I would love to offer you my professional advice. Would you mind telling me which community you are building? I just sold a lot/new build yesterday and may be familiar with the area in which you are speaking about.

You can email me at Rachel@ColumbusRealtyTeam.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rachel Dunham
HER Realtors
Columbus Realty Team
937-869-8333