Outofstatebu…, Home Buyer in 33410

We have been looking at the just released 2010 property values for PB county and the values are way less than the sell price, why would we buy?

Asked by Outofstatebuyer, 33410 Sun Sep 12, 2010

why would anyone buy a property for more than what it is worth???

Answers

8
Thanks for your response.
I called my realtor to see what my options could be. They gave me a professional who could answer all my questions.
Flag Wed Oct 31, 2012
I would think there are great advantages to buying.
Flag Tue Oct 23, 2012
Is the information you're looking at the assessed values of property? If so, those are rates a town, or county come up with for tax purposes. They do not reflect the market price or "worth" of a property.

The market price is determined by what buyers will pay for a property in today's market. If a home is priced correctly, it will reflect the market price and probably sell in a short time period. A real estate agent does a comparative market analysis (CMA) to look at what similar homes (size, style, bedrooms, features, etc.) in the same neighborhood or town have sold for in the most recent 3-6 months. This is how the market price for a property is determined.

If houses are selling quickly, and the market price (sold price) is higher than the assessed value, it tells you that buyers want to live in this area. Perhaps the assessed rates will rise...but that won't make homeowners happy! I hope this information answers your questions.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
Out of State Buyer,

Be very careful when looking at the valuations assigned to any property by the Palm Beach County Assessor as they are not they same as current market value. Each home and it's immediate surroundings need to be looked at and in many cases these current market valuations will vary greatly from the numbers the county arrives at for property tax purposes.

This morning I just finished a report for a client contemplating the sale in one Jupiter neighborhood and my study of the sales that have closed over the past three months show the 5 homes in his neighborhood that closed during that time sold for an average of 127% of the county valuation.

The absolute best reason to buy in today's market is interest rates that are at historical lows and will go up from these levels. Many analysts predict big jumps from these levels and as rates increase your buying power decreases. If you are buying with cash this interest rate factor is certainly not as important. My recommendation to anyone looking to purchase a home is to interview at least three agents and find one you have confidence will ultimately best be able to help you meet your goals; whether you decide to jump in now or wait on the sidelines a professional agent will be able to provide you valuable information so you can make a knowledgable decision.

If you are at that point I would be honored to be on the list of agents you decide to interview. I hope information helps to answer your questions but if I can offer anything additional please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
It seems you have received all good answers. From my recent experience with clients the past few months everything in the under $200,000 is selling at well above asking and assessed county value. My higher end clients over $500,000 are finding more opportunity to negotiate. The market value for all homes here in South Florida will continue to climb. This is still in the top 3 places in the country to retire and as the baby boomer generation rapidly is moving into retirement years values here will grow ! Please contact me to put you on an automatic MLS search with your criteria so you can be educating before you come down here to purchase.
Assessed value has nothing to do with market value. Plus any time you "average" something it becomes inacurate. Every home is different and you cannot judge one home's price based on what the average is.
County's assessed value has to do with the size of the building, some features and old sale prices. Market value is all about supply and demand as well as the size, conditon and location fo the home.

Elena Ollick
Amerivest Realty
Faith Home Loans
239-206-4500
eo@oceanhomesrealty.com
http://www.andrewollick.com/realestateblog
Unfortunately Palm Beach County, like most governments, works backwards to get to assessed property values. Governments in general tend to figure out what they want to spend first, then try to figure out where they can get the tax revenue from without committing political suicide. The PBC Property Appraisers office "backs into" the Assessed Values based on how much revenue the county needs and on the millage rate they can get away with.

My colleagues have all emphasized the need to look at comparable sales in the past 3-6 months and calculating the dollars per square foot living space as the best way to determine a homes value. This is the way a professional appraiser would approach determination of value. A Professional Real Estate agent has access to the systems to easily give you the supporting information you need to intelligently value a property you are interested in. Also, please don't forget, all asking prices are negotiable!!
Dear Buyer,

Good question. The short answer is that the county appraiser's office determines a value for the taxing authority, not for the real estate market. These values (approximately 75% of market value) may be skewed higher from the dramatic increase in values from the recent 'boom'. Future lower valuations will take more time to reflect current market activity you are seeing.

The Palm Beach County Appraiser , Gary Nikolits, says there are many factors that go into establishing their values, one of which is market sales. I can share the 2010 Annual Report with you if you'd like. Just send me a request

As a previous answer shows, market values are the best way to establish what a property is worth now. We Realtors can do a free comparative market analysis for you. A real estate appraiser can go even further to establish an opinion of value for you, for a fee.

Determine what you want and what you want to spend, then work with a knowledgeable Realtor to help you locate a property that meet your goals.

Many of us in the business believe now is a good time to buy because mortgage rates are lower than the past few years and near historic lows. Good luck!
OOSB, the county doesn't establish value - the market does.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010