Home Buying in Milford>Question Details

ML, Other/Just Looking in 19026

We have been considering moving to Milford, but are now seriously concerned with gas drilling. How is this likely to impact Pike County?

Asked by ML, 19026 Fri Apr 8, 2011

Answers

6
Elizabeth Murphy’s answer
Milford is absolutely wonderful for families and even retirees, for gay people or straight, for nature lovers and people lovers. Great schools, restaurants, 15 waterfalls, easy commute to Manhattan, friendly people and lovely homes in and extremely close to the edge of town (best of both worlds in the latter). Homes cost a fraction of what they do across the river in NJ or NY. I've lived here 12 years, not a real estate agent.

The gas drilling could happen farther from town, but it's very unlikely on Foster Hill or other places within a couple of miles to the center of town.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
You had to throw in the f.ag reference. It should of said normal people and abnormal perverts! You just turned off nice, normal, moral people moving there! GREAT community reputation to spread!
Flag Wed Apr 3, 2013
Hi Erica. Thank you for your response and the link. As I said, we are looking in the town of Milford, not outside.
We do not want to be close to drilling operations.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
did you buy in that area? did you find out if the drilling id in Milford? I am looking to buying there too
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Check this out!

The Marcellus Shale Lease Guide is a set of lease guidelines and principles that property owners can use with the help of an attorney to understand the environmental risks and rewards of mineral rights leasing. Homeowners, farm owners and private landowners throughout Western Pennsylvania now face decisions about the use of their land from drilling companies and many more will soon face similar challenges.
Developed by the Pennsylvania Environmental Council, the Marcellus Shale Lease Guide is intended as a helpful resource for Pennsylvania residents who are considering leasing their property for Marcellus Shale gas production, or who have decided to lease and are beginning the negotiating process.
http://www.pikeconservation.org/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Thank you for your input tzmba. We are well aware of how "gas friendly" our state is, but wanted to get some more specific information regarding drilling in Pike County. We are only looking in the town of Milford itself, not farther out. Your answer is very helpful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
I have to say, I LOVE this area, but Pennsylvania is very friendly to gas drilling, to the point where they have been leasing state forests. They just upgraded the gas pipeline through Milford and Shohola. The Marcellus Shale is in the northern part of the county, so Milford itself would not be a haven for drilling, but Shohola does have some of the shale. Research very carefully--there are many of us who are not comfortable with the proximitiy of wells to public lands, houses, schools, etc. There are rights of way that go through people's driveways, so make sure you ask for any such disclosure up front, as well as to be certain that the mineral rights transfer with the property. All of that being said, I love it here--my kids went to Shohola, the MS and HS and I have been very happy with the education. There are jerky people everywhere--I just avoid them. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
Hi. My name is Keith Harris, an Agent with CENTURY21 Roy B. Hull in Dingmans Ferry and Milford PA.
To my experience, I am not aware of any contemplated natural gas drilling in this immediate area. The drillers have been buying rights on properties north and west of here, in Wayne County for instance.

The Marcellus Shale region has been called "The Saudi Arabia of North America", and natural gas is a more cost-effective fuel than oil or porpane, so I do expect future drilling. I have seen some plans, and because the drill heads can be "guided" underground, three or four drill heads in one spot can cover many acres of drilling. The gas deposits are very very deep in the ground, far below the drinking water table, and the State legislators are working very hard to make sure the prisine lands and clean water of Pennsylvania are protected.

I hope that ths is useful information. I live here in Dingmans Ferry, as a full-time Realtor (tm), and I will be glad to provide any possible assistance!
Keith Harris