Home Buying in Placerville>Question Details

maclyn28, Home Buyer in Placerville, CA

We have an agent at this time. and we are receiving a listing of homes. Why should we not go to every agent in the area and explain what we are look?

Asked by maclyn28, Placerville, CA Thu Apr 17, 2014

for? for the house that is new on the market and is not listed yet? we are prequalified with a lender already.

Answers

5
maclyn,
If you told me what you wanted, and I had a matching listing, I would still post my listing for the world to see so we could get top dollar for it. That would be my obligation as the listing agent. If you skip the use of a buyers agent, I would gladly help you buy my listing and enjoy the full commission rather than half of it that I usually split with the buyers agent.
Having your own, active, involved and responsive agent is truly the best way for you to find the right home and get the best deal on it.
Working with multiple agents is NOT in your best interest. This is a recipe for confusion, distrust and a lack of representation. Since you have already selected a buyer's agent, you should work with him/her to find your new home. Make sure you maintain regular communication. It sounds like you are unhappy with the current inventory in your area. Since you are already signed up to receive listings, your best strategy might be to watch the new listings daily and arrange for your agent to see them right away. Also, talk with your agent about arranging showings for "for-sale-by-owner" homes that may not be included in the e-mails you are signed up to receive.
Craig, you said it perfectly! Stay loyal to your agent.
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
The agents who list those homes work for the seller. It's very important for buyers to have their own representation. In fact, hiring an Exclusive Buyer Agent (not a regular buyer agent) is the single most important thing you can do to ensure a smooth transaction. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. I can refer you to an EBA in your area, if you like, or visit http://www.naeba.org.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
If I understand you correctly you are asking why should you not go to multiple agents for your home search. My responses are included here below

1) First and foremost, it will become very confusing for you. The inventory in your city is the inventory - it's the same no matter which agent looks at it. Agents will all be sending overlapping information.

2) You will not get the service you deserve by playing agent against agent. When you get to know one agent well, and they you...the process works way more smoothly.

3) There could be fights among the agents. There is a term in real estate called 'procuring cause.' If one agent shows you a home, you can't go buy it with another agent without their being a commission fight between them.

3) It's not fair to the agents. Agents do not get paid for their time, only their sales. A smart agent will ask you if you are working with other agents. If you mis-represent this, you in fact are creating problems for yourselves and them.

Find one agent you like and trust - and give that agent your wholehearted effort,
You are absolutely best served by working with one agent. That's the beauty of real estate in the MLS-age. Virtually all listings will be on the MLS and accessible to you via your agent. You certainly shouldn't waste your agent's time and efforts by running all over town for the very slim chance of discovering some pocket listing that you'll be able to scoop up before anyone else.

If that's how you want to play it you certainly shouldn't be wasting your agent's time. And that also means that the agent you end up in this scenario will be representing the seller, not you. Personally, I'd almost always prefer when I'm the seller's agent that the buyer has their own representation. The advice, guidance and help in negotiations that you'll get from a good, experienced agent is invaluable and trying to run around on your own is simply not at all as effective.