Home Buying in Spooner>Question Details

Dan, Home Owner in Spooner, WI

We had an inspection prior to buying our house and now have bats. Should a home inspection have discovered this?

Asked by Dan, Spooner, WI Thu May 10, 2012

Answers

6
Usually no. Home inspectors specialize in the structural components of the house. It is very difficult to detect ongoing wildlife issues in a home. Bats are especially difficult because they burrow under the insulation.

We have been going to different real estate companies to educate agents and inspectors on how to detect bat infestations. Often your homeowners insurance can pick up the cost depending on the problem. I'd suggest calling a wildlife removal and bat control company in Wisconsin.

You can vist our page for diy tips on the issue to if it helps...batremovalandprevention.com
This question is fact-intensive. Were the bats present during the inspection, in your estimation? Is there historic evidence of bats? Did the inspector visit the bat-infested location?
Another note on bat infestation, it is highly seasonal. Northern bats take off to hibernate in caves in the winter. I have bats in my New Hampshire home that actually hibernate in upstate New York in the winter, so if they have just arrived, it may be their first time using your home as theirs. Alternately, the sellers may have not been aware because last season's bats were the first and they were not noticed (very easy to conceive of if the critters were in the roof and there's an attic between the living space and the roof). Bats are good to have around, though, so consider putting on a bat box to keep them nearby after you've evicted them from the house. They do a great job of keeping down your insect population. Good luck...
I was a Licensed Professional Inspector in Texas for a few years and agree with Naomi. Most reports identify areas of inaccessability such as voids in walls, certain areas of attics, etc. The inspection is a snapshot in time of what was seen and identified at that time. Unless the infestation was large (bats make a squeeling noise) or the guano was excessive, it is easy to miss - don't forget bats don't usually fly out and say 'hi'....they will be isolated in the darkest, most inaccessible area of your home. When an inspector notices evidence of an infestation, this is usually noted, even if the culprits are not seen.

Rather than focus on the snapshot inspection, I would think the sellers that lived there 24 hours a day would have better knowledge of a problem and if it was present during their occupancy, it should have been disclosed. However, if the sale was part of an estate or the owners were not actually occupying the home (had a tenant or the like), then their knowledge of the home would obviously be more limited.
In my experience I would say it isn't necessarily the Inspectors responsibility but undoubtedly had they seen evidence of bats, they would have noted it.
Many, many inspections note rodents, not uncommon at all...
However, I would focus on the sellers responsibility and question if it is a material adverse fact... If it is, the it should've been disclosed...
Here in Maryland our sandard of practices does not list bats or other rodents infestation. I suspect it falls under another inspection (rodent/pest infestation0. However the home inspector should have noted any evidence of rodents like nest material, hair, droppings, etc. in the report. He should also have tested the attic area in the dark and noted any "daylight" areas that could have allowed critters to come in.