Home Buying in Orange County>Question Details

B, Home Buyer in Newburgh, NY

We found a house we love in a great location at a great price, but it STINKS like a dirty ashtray! Should we roll our sleeves up or run for the hills?

Asked by B, Newburgh, NY Fri Nov 9, 2012

My husband and I are interested in a 2,000 square ft mid-century brick ranch in a great neighborhood. It's priced to sell, BUT - it reeks from years of smoking! We would definitely tear down the wallpaper, paint, rip up carpets, and re-finish the hardwood floors, but will the stench ever go away? Any advice would be helpful.

Answers

4
I had the same situation and my husband did not want to purchase our home.

We did just what you are discussing; painted, pulled up carpeting, washed windows, changed curtains and have been here happily since 1995.

Dirt is just dirt; washable. Buy the house and have a lot of fun throwing clean up parties!
Hello B. Anna is right on point. If the home meets your needs, and is within your price range, the cosmetics, including the smoke smell, can easily be corrected. It may even bring you instant equity by making the necessary changes. If you are interested in it, don't let the "dirty ashtray" smell stop you from moving forward.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
Hello Anna,
I wouldn't want to walk away from a great home. If the home smells of smoke, you can set out vinegar. Using "Kiltz" on the walls and tearing up carpet can make a big improvement.Get ducts cleaned and put in new filters. That will help a lot. Smoke attatches to everything but can be wiped off of wood. You would need to take out everything made with fabric and don't have sellers leave anything behind.
Best of luck to you and your family
If the property meets your needs, know you'll be happy living there, is priced on target, etc., no reason not to consider the purchase...