Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Rick, Renter in Roseville, CA

We found a house new house we like. We are going to have it built with our upgrades. We found the house on our own. We are not working with an

Asked by Rick, Roseville, CA Wed May 22, 2013

agent. We are not familiar with how to be protected. Should I hire an attorney or what do you suggest?

Answers

11
If you have not signed the contracts yet it probably makes sense to find an agent and have them look at comparable homes for you and also talk about the process. The builder representative represents the builder and their best interest which is to sell homes for as much as possible. Using an agent does not cost you a penny and can save you thousands of dollars. Especially if you do not have the knowledge. The builder will most likely want you to use their lenders and their title company... you really need somebody on your side to look out for you.

You can read my blog article about this in my profile.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
Get a realtor in your corner. The builder rep is working for the builder. You want your realtor working for you. Maybe a 1/10 of the work is finding the neighborhood, the real work for your realtor starts about the time you are ready to sign a contract.

As a realtor I think about selling your new home, so I want to be intimately involved in the purchase. I want you to pick the lot I can resale, I want you to choose upgrades that give value for resale. I want you to buy a home others will want too. Now you may choose to go against my suggestions, but at least you can make the decision about what you want to pay for personally, and what might be a good investment. I know where builders might give and take. I know when to do inspections. I can help you find the right lender or evaluate if the builder's lender is better. I can help you determine what others in the neighborhood have paid. I may also be able to get included things you never thought about. I am also an expert additional set of eyes looking for common misses builders make. If I remember correctly on ever single new build I've ever helped my client build I've either saved them from a major mistake or saved them really thousands of dollars.

Check out my website for just a handful of the things your realtor may consider for you, that you might not have ever thought of....
http://teamlynn.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/AdditionalGetAction…

If you need an awesome realtor in your corner, let me know and we can get you a great referral.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Good advice all around. One word of financial caution: If you aren't careful, choosing upgrades might really increase the price of your new home. Be sure to look at total costs when deciding between a new build and an existing.

By the time you pay for upgrades, you might find the cost of the new home greatly exceeds what you would have paid for an exiting home with more features in a more convenient neighborhood.
Rick,

I would suggest that you work with a realtor to represent you if it's not too late. She/he can advise you on what needs to be done on your end. If it's too late you may need to hire an inspector and also be on top of things.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
A Realtor iand an inspector are the best protection. Identifying a particular house or builder is the smallest part of what an agent does. We provide insight advice and watch over the building process.
An attorney can revie the paperwork, but does nor offer ezperienxe in construction.
I have helped clients build homes with nearly every builder in this market, know their processes and incentives. A lot can happen in the 4 to 6 months it takes to build. Call me at 210-385-0305

Terri Russo, Realtor
Home Team of America
If you have already signed a contract with the builder, there is little reason to obtain a Realtor or Attorney unless you feel the need. Would recommend you obtain an experienced inspector (licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission) to do periodic inspections on the home while it is being built. There are just a handful of licensed inspectors (That I am aware of) that have this kind of expertise.
Give me a call if you would like, and I will provide you some names to call. I have no business relationship with any of of the inspectors that I will provide you information on.

Royce Simmonds, Broker-Owner
Simmonds Real Estate Inc.
Schertz (San Antonio)
210-651-9300 Office
36 Year Air Force Active Service (15 Enlisted/21 Officer)
Rick, in most cases it's not necessary to hire an attorney. I would recommend a realtor though because it always helps to have someone on your side. A realtor will know the ins & outs & be able to assist you in the process. If you have any more questions or need any more assistance I'd be happy to help!
I forgot to mention that THE SELLER PAYS THE REALTOR, so there is no money coming out of your pocket to have one of us represent you and make sure you are treated fairly. I've saved my clients thousands of dollars on new homes because of my negotiating skills and knowledge of the market. Please don't hesitate to contact a Realtor BEFORE you sign that contract.
Rick, have you already signed a contract with the builder? If not, if often helps to hire a Realtor because we'll look out for your best interest and can often negotiate on your behalf for a better price. If you'd like more info, please feel free to give me a call or send me an e-mail. Either way I wish you the best of luck and welcome to San Antonio!
No need to hire an attorney at all. You need a realtor to help protect you. I'd be happy to help. Call me right away!

Pamela Rothe, REALTOR, CNE
210.861.7350 - Direct Line
Have a Realtor represent you probably less expensive we are trained in contract law.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas