Dnagray, Home Buyer in 76248

We currently live in Denver, Co and are looking to relocate to the DFW area. We are looking at the Keller/ Grapevine area.

Asked by Dnagray, 76248 Mon Nov 23, 2009

I'm looking for advice/comments on schools and homes. I am a teacher and have children that will be in elementary school. What are the good areas? What are the areas to avoid? Should we buy a new or old home? What are the taxes like? any advice about the area would be appreciated.

Answers

11
Included in the link below is the 2012-2013 School Accountability Ratings compiled by Republic Title for all of the school districts in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex:

http://resourceguide.republictitle.com/rgfiles/section4.pdf

Please let me know if I can provide you additional information.

Kenneth Walters
http://www.kenneth-walters.com
There are lots of great areas,my wife has taught school for 20 years in Coppell. I would be happy to visit with you about the different areas,I have lived in the area for the last 40 years.

JToddRealty@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://ToddHomesForSale.com
You might like this...
NO Down Payment Plan - Free Money
• No down payment for a TX Home Purchase
• You don't need to be living in Texas to qualify
• You Don't have to be a first time home buyer
• It is regular FHA loan and the State of Texas will pay the 3.5% down payment - for example on a $200,000 Home that is $7,000 Free Money!
• No restrictions on location, can buy anywhere in the state of Texas
• Only qualifying factor is a $54,000 Maximum income limit for the loan applicant only, NOT Household income. That means that if anyone in your household makes less than $54,000 they (you) can get the down payment free.
• Plus you can close in as quickly as 30 days
We also have a program for Credit Challenged Buyers where two different companies will buy Any home you want and then lease it back to you. You later buy the home from them, when your credit improves. Some Restrictions Apply
This home is really for sale but you buy ANY home you qualify for. Don't Wait!
Call me while this program is still available.
Lloyd Martin
Fathom Realty
817-471-0221
When are you moving? Will you be teaching? My wife taught in Keller ISD before our 2 little ones.

I grew up in Colorado Springs went to Lewis Palmer High School in Monument. I live and work in Keller mainly because the bang for the buck and the Schools. However when my wife and I do something it is generally in Grapevine or Fort Worth. I also am a big fan of Trophy Club which is right between the two areas. You can not go wrong with either area. Generally in Keller the homes are newer the homes in Grapevine tend to be older but they each have their advantages it just depends on what you are looking for.

Welcome to Texas.
Hello just seeing if you have received the answer you were looking for? We are here to help.
Flag Sat Mar 8, 2014
I am originally from outside of Texas as well. Both are good choices, but very different in their "feel." Keller is more of a neighborhood feel. The schools are excellent, and there are many neighborhoods with elementary schools close by. Grapevine has a little more of a "yuppie" feel to it and is more hustle and bustle. Location is very different as well. Grapevine is right in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Keller is by Fort Worth. A commute to Dallas from Keller would be painful. So I guess the short answer is that either are good choices, but it depends on what your personal taste is.
I was just looking over some of the questions that I've answered and wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I moved to North Texas from San Francisco and know how confusing things down here can be. If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to give me a call at 817-600-1083 or email me at HeatherShimala@gmail.com

Warmest regards,
Heather Shimala
Just checking in to see if your questions were answered and if you are satisfied with the information you received!

I also live in Keller and would offer some advice:
- first determine what you want to pay for a home
- Realtors are under a code of ethics to not "steer" buyers from or to a certain neighborhood, that being
said, we most certainly can provide you with current statistics to help you make the final decision
-New or preowned, this is huge! Depending on the location, which is first and foremost, you can determine
if you need a larger home and smaller yard, which HOA ammenities are important to you (such as, you have children, Texas summers are hot, is a pool or neighborhood playground important to you?)
- Taxes - we pay anywhere from 2.5% - 3.1% - in lieu of paying state employment taxes. After owning a home on January 1 of the tax year, you will receive a Texas Homestead tax exemption which allows an exemption from property tax on 20% of the house value
- Are your children involved in extra curricular activities? Do you have a preference over a potential commute to and from work for you and/or your spouse? Do you need to proximity to health care? Avid sports fans or desire to live within 10 minutes or so of a local grocery store? Some of these items will help to narrow your location.

Feel comfortable to contact me in the event you have not found a responsive,reliable resource and I will communicate with you on a daily basis to ensure your comfort level in making your final determinations!

Lucy A. Puniwai
REALTOR®
Zip Realty
1-800-CALLZIP X5622

http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/lpuniwai
(214) 783- 6416 - Cell
(866) 381-4294 - Fax
Welcome to Texas.....
My personal thought would be to buy as close to your work in an area with great schools. Keller is great....Coppell, Frisco, Southlake, Colleyville, Flower Mound and Grapevine are also places you might consider. All have great school systems. New or Old...that's up to you. Your choice also might depend on what price range you want to be in. Taxes in all these cities are typically 2.5-3% of the appraised home value each year. So higher than CO I'm sure. This is in exchange for no state income tax.

It there is anything we can do to assist you or you need more information just let us know.

Bruce Lynn
214-675-6992
Web Reference: http://www.dfwSnapshot.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I would be glad to assist you in your relocation efforts. You can find detailed information on the schools here: http://www.republictitle.com/outbound/ResGuide/2009scores.pdf. You can use this as a reference when reviewing homes, because even though a district may have a rating as acceptable, some schools are exemplary.

As far as buying a new home or older home, it is entirely up to you. You can find plenty of both, it ultimately depends on what your needs truly are and what is available. It would help us to know your minimum requirements such as bedrooms, square footage, price range, etc.

The property tax in Grapevine is currently 2.27% and Keller is 2.56%. While the property tax here is higher, it is important to note that it is offset by a lack of state income tax.

The areas in general are both great. It depends upon your preferance. It is also important to note that the DFW airport is in Grapevine, so if air traffic is bothersome to you then you may lean towards Keller.

If I can assist you further, you can reach me at 817-726-9663.
Dnagray,

Congratulations on the move to the Dallas - Fort Worth area! I know you'll enjoy the area when you arrive.

You have chosen areas of the DFW Metroplex that are blessed with good schools. The Grapevine-Colleyville ISD has an excellent rating and the Keller ISD is not far behind. Probably the highest rated school district is located between those two areas in the Southlake Carroll ISD. However, you can't go wrong with any of the three.

The price range home you will be seeking to purchase may very well play a part in the area you end up. The Keller ISD area will have the largest selection of homes, particularly in the less than $200,000 range. Grapevine's options tend to be slightly more expensive and finally the Southlake areas options generally start in the $400,000 range.

I'd be happy to supply you with additional information on schools, communities, etc.

Just let me know how I might help.

Gerald Dostal
RE/MAX DFW Associates
972-402-4124
gerald@realestateofdfw.com
Well, here's an early welcome to Texas!! I cover all of the North Fort Worth area and live in the Keller/Grapevine area so know it pretty well. I find this link to be a great one to find out what other parents think about the different schools: http://www.greatschools.net/texas/ As far as old or new, I don't think you can go wrong. There are a lot of great incentives from the builders, and there are a lot of great deals from homeowners trying to sell. This area and the surrounding areas are great to live in! If you are interested or need any further questions answered, just email me offline at TruValueRealty@gmail.com I'd be happy to set you up with a list of homes that meet your criteria and send them to you several times a week, so you can start your search. Thanks!!

Jackie Rankin
Tru Value Realty