Home Buying in 55401>Question Details

Roving_analy…, Home Buyer in 55401

We close in less than 2 weeks. My fiance had to make an emergency trip to home country. We forgot to check with loan officer and now due to

Asked by Roving_analyst, 55401 Tue Jun 15, 2010

unavoidable circumstances, she cant make it back in time to close. We need POA done, the bank says she needs to go to the US embassy and get it notarized. My question can any notary public registered by the high court of my country notarize this or its got to be US embassy? The embase is backlogged and appointments are required. Please help...

Help the community by answering this question:


I have had this in the past and the only answer I found was the US Embassy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
Here are a couple of suggestions. It is possible that there is an American Express office that might have a US notary located in it. If you are an American Express member contact them and they might be able to hlep you find one If not check to see if there is a US based company near where she is and see if they happen to have a US based notary on staff. Barring that turn to social media sites such as twitter or facebook to see if there is a person that is a US notary traveling in the area near her that happens to have thier notary stamp with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 29, 2012
You have basically two options - get a speciifc Power of Attorney and have it notarized at the US Embassy or Consulate. Or, you can have the documents delivered by overnight mail to the US Embassy or Consulate, sign the documents before a US notary,and have the documents overnighted back the closing attorney or title company. Failing that, your fiance will have to make the trip home. Foreign courts, notaries and/or attorneys are not acceptable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 15, 2010
Although I do not know for certain the correct answer to this question, my assumption would be that it would need to be a US notary as you are closing within the US. I would recommend you contact the title company that will be closing the file as to what will be acceptable...alternatively, perhaps you could locate a notary from the US that may be over there on business as well?? I do not know which country you are speaking of or what business your fiance is attending to over there, but I would not be surprised if there may be a US notary other than the Embassy perhaps working for an American corporation or such there?? Just a thought...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 15, 2010
Roving I had something similar a few years back. The lender explained that they needed a US notary for the US documents. Check with the lender and see what they say but I do not think that the answer will change.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 15, 2010
Dear Roving Analyst,
That's one I haven't heard before! Sounds like the bank has told you to get a POA from the embassy. What if you simply removed your fiance from the Purchase Agreement and Mortgage? You could only do this if the loss of her income would not effect your abiltiy to perform on the mortgage however. Maybe you could ask the sellers to move the closing back a bit?
Let us know how it turns out please.
Thanks and good luck,
Colin Simpson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 15, 2010
Roving, Thats a question for your mortgage company to answer, our guess is that it has to be by the US Embassy. Prehaps though We're sure you don't want to but you may have to wait until she gets back as a 2nd option.

ALL the Best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 15, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer