Home Buying in Laughlin>Question Details

John, Home Buyer in Laughlin, NV

We are wondering if now might be a good time to buy a small winter place in the Laughlin/Bullhead city area even though retirement is 10 years off.

Asked by John, Laughlin, NV Tue Jan 19, 2010

What if we had to borrow almost all of it at this point?

Answers

2
Donaldak13’s answer
There are some great buys in BHC/Laughlin right now, but if you plan on spending the summer months there, be prepared for heat like you can't imagine. This is desert area and gets to 130 degrees in full sunlight. Winter gets colder than you would think, but mostly it's light jacket weather. I lived there, and worked there for 2 1/2 years and loved it, about fifteen years ago. Went back for a visit, it's changed(BHC) quite a bit for the worse from what I saw, but Laughlin is still nice. Some of the hotels have let the rooms get run down because their business has waned, but Harrah's and the golden nugget have held their standards high. The casino's in general have better paying slots than most, I didn't win much $400, but it was better than loosing. There are a lot of brand new condo's in Laughlin for under $100,000.00. If you're looking for a mobile home, you might want to buy your own property and have it placed on it; there is plenty of inexpensive land there in BHC.
Hope this helps you. Good luck.
Hi John,

Now may very well be the best time to buy a home in the Laughlin, NV/Bullhead City, AZ area. There is a great selection of homes, prices are down as a result of the current economic situation in the country, and interest rates are on the rise.

Since you are 10 years away from retirement, you may want to consider renting your new home out until you are ready to occupy it yourself. There are several different rental options available in this area. You can either rent your home out on a yearly basis to a long-term tenant, or you can use place your home in the winter rental program. There is a very high demand for winter rentals in our area due to our moderate winter climate. The winter visitors will generally stay anywhere from 3-6 months. The home must be furnished with all the necessities for day to day living as some of our winter residents fly in with only a suitcase! This type of rental can command a premium rental rate.

If you have any other questions regarding property in Bullhead City, AZ or Laughlin, NV, please email me. I am licensed in both states and I am here to answer any questions you may have.

Rae McKinney, Realtor
Rae@LaughlinRealEstateAgent.com
River City Realty
Laughlin, NV 89029
Chris Elder, Broker