Home Buying in Sewell>Question Details

B_stelacone, Home Buyer in Scranton, PA

We are under contract and during the inspection carpenter ant frass was found in the basement sill plate. The sellers had a pest company come out and

Asked by B_stelacone, Scranton, PA Sat Jun 8, 2013

fix the rotted wood, replace the sheathing and treat the area. They also had the outside perimeter sprayed for carpenter ants. Is this enough? What else should I do? I have 2 kids so I want to keep their safety in mind as well.

Answers

6
Sounds like it has been treated correctly. You might want to hire a company for annual inspection and treatment just to check and make sure everything is still fine.

Samuel Rifkin
609-315-9119
http://www.SamSellsNJ.com
The Rifkin Team
This questions has been answered well. The sellers did everything they needed to do. Most Sellers would just treat and leave the repairs up to you, maybe give you a credit. So you should be very happy.
These types of issues are very common when purchasing a home. Best Wishes.
Sounds like the Seller did what they were supposed to do. My recommendation is to maintain a termite and pest warranty post closing. You should have a warranty transferrable to you at the time of closing. Warranties vary from 6 months to a year. Check what type of warranty protection you will have after the treatment. Once the warranty expires, contract with a reputable termite and pest control company for routine inspection and maintenance.
I had a carpenter ant problem in a rental property about 20 years ago. That treatment process is appropriate. You probably should also have regular retreatments to prevent them from coming back.

One other tip: Trim back trees that may be overhanging or touching your property. Carpenter ants like to use trees and low-hanging branches to get to your home. And, as a general rule, remove any brush, cut wood, etc., that might be up close to your house.

As for your kids, they'll be fine. Even with the regular retreatments.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Carpenter ants and termites are both common in NJ. What you describe is a common treatment. While it is a common treatment, the only way to validate it was done completely and thoroughly is to have another pest control company come out. In lieu of having another pest control firm come out now, you could also ask the company who performed the treatment recheck the property at a later time. Regular checks for wood destroying insects is a good idea.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
That's pretty much how a carpenter ant infestation is treated. You may want to repeat the perimeter spraying on a regular basis but otherwise there is not much else to do. If you want a second opinion you could call another pest control company but my guess is they will tell you the same thing.