Home Buying in Highland Park>Question Details

Danielle Sil…, Renter in Chicago, IL

We are trying to sell our home and it hasn't been going well, is there anything I can do to turn this around?

Asked by Danielle Silverman, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 8, 2012

We've been listed for a year, dropped the price five times, had it professionally staged, repainted inside/out, and just relandscaped the front yard.

Answers

9
Chris and Michelle Spalding’s answer
After the 5 drops in listing price where does it sit now? is it competitive with the comps? Also has your Realtor called back any of the showing agents and asked them for feedback? would be good to know what was putting off potential buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2012
Hi Danielle,

I truly hope your home is sold since I noticed the post was back in August, 2012.

If it hasn't, some quick questions...

What kind of marketing/exposure has your home had? There are so many ways to get a listing attention, I actually have a unique idea that I am working on currently...which will be yet another way to get a home noticed.

I saw that you had it repainted, staged, landscaped, etc, which is great...but what about the kitchen and baths? updated? carpet/hardwood floor condition?

What is the condition of your property?

Is there anything you can think of that may be the culprit? (small lot, backyard that backs up to a busy street, etc). And if so, does the price reflect that?

What kind of traffic do your open houses get?

What has the feedback been?

Is it competitively priced? Where did your Realtor get the comps?

The market in the last 2 months has gotten really active, so if your home has not sold yet, most likely it will now. Hang in there. If you would like to discuss your Real Estate options further or have questions about my particular strategies, please call my cell 312.375.9706 or you can email me at jen.waldman@cbexchange.com

Good luck!!!
Danielle,
Have your agent prepare a new market analysis and use only recently sold propreties. This will give you information on what similar homes are selling for now. We are still in a changing market. Active listings are your competition, but sold listings are what buyers are buying.

Gary Geer
Results Realty USA
Click on "Find a Pro" at the top, type in your city and interview the top 5 agents, then pick one of those.
Danielle,
Without viewing the interior of the home and looking at comparables, it is difficult to answer your question. Sometimes you need a fresh start. While I do not represent sellers or buyers in Chicago, I would be happy to recommend you to one of our city agents who has a vast knowledge of properties in the city of Chicago, specifically, the Loop and north areas. Call me directly or e-mail me: (847) 681-4143, pam.devendorf@cbexchange.com. ~Pam
If you are getting showings and no offers its the price. Get feedback from the showings.
Well it almost sounds like you have done a lot to get your home sold......
You have dropped the price 5 times, but we do not know what kind of drops....
Sometimes it is best to make one big dramatic drop in price instead of several little ones......

Then there is the reason why you want to sell, and what your bottom line i, how long have you
owned your home, how much do you still owe to the bank and what are you intending to do once your home is sold. So there are many questions to consider and then look again at your home.

How competitively is your home now priced, have you yourself looked at properties similar to your in the area, so that you also have a good feeling what the buyers see, like or may not like?

One thing I would like you to remember, although homes sell, there are still not enough ready and
willing and approved buyers out there, many are worried about their jobs, about the economy and
they are basically sitting on the fence deciding if this is an ok time for them to buy. Because of that
as a seller you need to be more patient than every before.

You may want to consider (depending on your situation which we do not know) to take your home
off the market for a while, including photos and then bring the home back with new photos, new description, and the new photos could just be taken from different angles, to make it a fresh
property on the internet and the multiple listing service, just a thought, it may not necessary or
it may not even work for your listing.....

Good Luck to you...
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs,
the fine homes on theNorth Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs,
and with her trusted Partner Agents all of the US and worldwide properties.
Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Oh goodness! That's not good!

Homes are selling relatively quick.. Call me, I'm sure I can sell it for the best price!

Maria Ascencio
RE/MAX Platinum
630-945-0139
Yes, you can ask for a listing autopsy. I have found this to be the most effective way to turn a stagnant listing around.
What resource provides a "listing autopsy"?
Flag Thu Aug 9, 2012