Jancpope, Home Owner in Charlestown, MA

We are trying to decide if a Master Bathroom makeover should include a tub and shower (separate) or a huge double shower with no tub, does it matter.

Asked by Jancpope, Charlestown, MA Sat Sep 8, 2012

Answers

14
Make your master bath a relaxing retreat. A tub, a shower and double vanities are good options when you are aiming for a serene atmosphere. What ever you decide to do, make your master bath more like spa than a bathroom. Bring the relaxation home with spa inspiring Master Bath.

Good Luck,

Maria Cipollone
http://www.FlaHomeSpecialist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
This depends on how long you want to keep the property.
If you think resale value, a tub and a shower appeal to more buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I prefer the over sized double shower, particularly if there are other bathrooms in the house where there is already a tub for bathing young children. However this is my subjective preference and there are buyers where it's not uncommon for the wives to prefer a separate tub and shower. With over a quarter of a century of experience as an active agent and someone who has bought and flipped many homes, I can't say that one is a better investment or in greater demand than the other. What does matter is the quality of the work done.

I would also strongly advise you stick with classic color combinations that permit a future buyer to accessorize to suit their personal tastes. When it comes to tile think White, Black or Slate Grey. Subway tile in any size is always popular and gives a classic yet contemporary look. If there's not one already make sure to include a double vanity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
If you have a 2 br - then one bedroom should have a tub - f.e. for the kids.
If the bathroom is nice - and there is tub in a 2nd bedroom - a double shower is fine.
For a 1br I'd do both - a tub and a shower.

This also depends on what statement you are trying to make.
If you want to project luxury - then a tub and a shower will do better (giving the owners options of bathing or showering). If this is a rental - as long as the shower is nice (and double shower is) - you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
That depends on the location of the property, the size of the property, whether other properties that are selling (not just those that are listed) have tubs or not, etc...
You need a local professional who can tell you what used to sell, what is selling, and what seems to be on the horizon in the future if possible.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Is there another bathroom that has a tub? Most people like the idea of a jacuzzi, use it one or twice and thats about it. The double shower is more in keeping with today's wants and buyers.

That said it is your home and you should do as you see fit, enjoy it and not worry about the resale value as you should recoup most if not all your costs either way.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
yes, we have a full tub in another bathroom.
Flag Mon Sep 10, 2012
Is this remodel for your own enjoyment? If so do what you want.

You can't please everyone. It really depends on the size of the bathroom and what you can do with it. Some Buyers must have their deep jetted tub. Others don't use the tub and want a nice walk in shower. Some want the option for both.

So enjoy your home.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
My home has 3 full and one half bath. One of my bathrooms has a stand up shower and is small. The other has a full tub/shower. The master has a shower and a separate tub. It doesn't have jets. i wish it did.
It is nice to have the detachable shower head in the shower tub combo for cleaning. Also some people like to clog the tub while they shower and sit down to shave their legs or whatever it is they do.

Hope that helps. The more tubs the better unless you are in an elderly complex.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
A master bathroom should include a separate tub and a separate shower. The tub should be jacuzzi and extra large if possible. Always take the "more is better" approach. As always, when considering a significant renovation, be careful to "over-develop" beyond your home's value - unless you plan to stay there for a long time and this bathroom is for YOU.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012

A master bathroom should include tub and shower together and if you put a double shower that's extra (it looks better)

Mario Pavli
857-334-5827
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
It's all personal preference and subject to what's the trend in your neighborhood. For instance, many high-end neighborhoods (including the areas that I service, such as luxury downtown condos) do have separate walk-in showers and tubs. Good luck!

- Mac
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I'm not sure what your market is seeing regarding the layout of Master Bathrooms. What I would suggest is that you visit some of the new homebuilders model homes. See what the currently builders are doing and try to upgrade your bathroom similar. Here in Texas, I see more homes with garden tub and separate shower. Have a wonderful day!

Teresa Scott-Tibbs
"Your Angel in Real Estate"
Stanberry & Associates
(512) 431-2442
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
It's all personal preference. I think a tub shower might look better if you plan on selling soon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Does your home have another bathroom with a Tub? Future buyers with young children will want at least one tub in the property to bathe them. If you opt for the oversixed shower think of building in a place for a woman to be able to sit to shave.

Good luck on your project.

Eric
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012