Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

Trisha Coburn…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

We are thinking of moving to the area, we recently visited and really loved the North Raleigh and Wake Forests areas.

Asked by Trisha Coburn Richardson, New York, NY Sun Aug 17, 2014

I have two elementary aged children. Which neighborhoods are the most children/family orientated and what schools are the best in those areas. These are our top concerns and what to narrow our search to those types of areas.

Answers

3
We moved here 5yrs ago w/2 kids in elementary and one in middle school. We ended up in the Youngsville are after being set on Wake Forest. Reason being, we are only 5 miles past WF (takes me 15 min to get to downtown) and we do not have any of the Wake Forest city taxes and county tax is lower. With that being said, my kids went to Long Mill and then transferred into one of the charters for HS. The schools here are great and you have so many choices. With being just outside of Wake Forest you def. still have a small town feel with all the amenities of WF and North Raleigh. Houses are about 20k less too! With about an acre!
Unfortunately we have to move again and will be moving from the area. We are moving back to New England, but loved it here!!!!! It is an amazing place for families and to raise kids.
My neighborhood in particular has several folks from NY and NJ. Here is a link to my house if you know anyone that might be looking. I have only positive things for this area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/165-Siltsto…
You are looking at Wake County schools and there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the school except that some are magnet which means they may specialize in one area such as sciences, fine arts, foreign languages etc. You may also be looking at year round vs. traditional schools. You have some choices. Check out the county school systems website at http://www.wcpss.net to check out the individual schools.
Neighborhoods will depend on what price range you are in. If I knew that, I could definitely make some recommendations to you. Also important would be what kind of amenities you want in a neighborhood, .e pools, playgrounds, golf course, athletic clubs etc. I don't really have to ask about shopping, medical facilities etc because you'll be close.
Please check out my website shown below. I have placed a lot of good information in it regarding this area and I think you will find it very helpful. If I can be of any personal assistance to you, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best wishes and Good Luck
Ernie
There are several communities that have play grounds and pools as their Neighborhood amenities, which should be a pretty good indicators. As far as schools are concerned, http://www.greatschools.org is great source to review schools and their rankings. Hope this helps, keep the questions coming! I'm always glad to help if I can.