Home Buying in West Chester>Question Details

Kevin, Renter in

We are thinking of immigrating into the area as our business is possibly opening an office in Philadelphia.

Asked by Kevin, Sun Jun 24, 2012

We live in the UK in a semi rural location with our daughter and 2 dogs. Where should we look in the area for good access to the city but similar location as in the UK

Answers

5
Daniel Robins’ answer
The first thing you should do is find the best agent possible to represent your interests in the area you"re looking in. We would love a chance to compete for your business. Connect with me on LInkedIn and take a look at my profile.
Hi Kevin, I have other international clients that I am helping with a similar process. They are coming from Hong Kong and interested in rural-like areas convenient to a train to the city. THere are many options depending on where your office will be and how far from the city you are willing to be and exactly how rural you would like to be.

I think the best thing to do would be to email as much of your criteria as possible so that we may begin a dialogue.

Also, I frequently Skype and preview properties (and send video) to my clients.

Incidentally, where in the UK are you?

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
267.507.2287
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference: http://kurfiss.com
Kevin, as you have a daughter, you should research schools districts. Unlike England, where you may send her to a private school, that is not entirely necessary, although some people do. We settled on the Main Line, an area to the North West of Philadelphia, there are many good public schools in this area. You can get information on schools on my website at this link. By law agents cannot steer you to an area, we can give you link to check this information, but cannot give you our opinion on a school district. Unlike England, walking with a dog generally requires the dog to be on a leash and you cannot walk across private land. In our area, which feels very similar to parts of England, like Beaconsfield and the Cotswolds with winding roads etc. There of course has been lots of development over the years so it is more built up, but there are some great parks where you can walk, cycle, jog etc. I would say work out which school districts you might want to be in, look at some homes online and then when you are out here we can arrange a tour of the area. Homes here again are very different to English homes, most being timber frame construction, not brick or stone built, they have facings of stone and brick but it is not like an English house, but that is also part of the fun of being somewhere different. There are some old farmhouses, old being from the 18-1900's, lots of interesting towns, with great restaurants, coffee shops, bars, breweries etc.
If you love the city life like London Kevin than Philadelphia is a great location. Otherwise Delaware, Chester Counties of Pennsylvania would be your best bet, and maybe some of Montgomery county. I have live in West Chester for 20 years and is by far the lowest taxes in the entire Philadelphia suburbs. You can reach Center city Philadelphia within 45-50 minutes.

Let us know how we can assist further. We can sent you property listings so you can get a good feel of the type of homes available in your price range for purchase, or if you choose to rent for a while.

http://www.trulia.com/myprofile/recommendation/

DEVON, PA March 15, 2012 – Long & Foster® Real Estate, Inc., the largest independent residential real estate company in the United States, recently honored sales associates. The awards were presented at Long & Foster’s held March 7th, 2012. Recognized for outstanding sales achievement for 2011 was Rob Hughes & Hughes Associates who achieved Top Producing Sales Group of the office. An award-winning, consistent top producer, Rob is always focused on delivering the best service to all his clients, whether you are new to the market or an experienced purchaser. Rob has the experience, expertise and proven track record over 25 years to handle any Residential/Commercial transaction, and all the latest resources to help you achieve all your Real Estate goals.

Contact Rob at (484) 410-9765 or email him at robsellsre@verizon.net

Rob Hughes: Long & Foster Real Estate Inc.
(Associate Broker) (AB065650)
(Hughes Associates) (Realtor since 1987)

Office: 610-225-7400 x7438

Cell# 484-410-9765 (Preferred)

http://WWW.DELVALREALESTATEOFPA.COM

http://WWW.ERICMAYMORTGAGE.COM
Kevin, I moved here from England and am a Realtor now after moving my smsll business here 23 years ago. Philadelphia is a great place with many areas similar to the UK. Feel free to call me to discuss as there are many things that go into selecting the right area. My number is 1 610 203 4543. Look forward to hearing from you.
Web Reference: http://www.vandekarteam.com
Thanks Nick
Quite early days yet. But yes will give you a call to discuss in the next week or so. Not sure whether we should rent first while we get used to the area and look for the right community. We are quite active in amateur theatre and singing and would like to get involved in the community as well
Flag Sun Jun 24, 2012